T-26 Hull construction / upkeep

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DTeeSail

T-26 Hull construction / upkeep

Post by DTeeSail »

3B2ADC49-D617-4146-8320-CF577191A078.jpeg
1981 T-26 Courser w/ swing keel

I'm planning steps to take for this hull. Blisters were treated by prior owner two years ago.

I'll wash the whole boat first, smooth sand the hull to ready it for a coat of ablative paint. If that sanding reveals any blisters, I'll treat those first.

You can see there are a few problem areas showing on the very bottom of the keel. They may have been previously treated, or are in need of attention now.

I’m also wondering what core/lamination methods were used on the Hull, Keel, Topsides, Deck ?

I’ve found a bit of exposed foam core inside the cabin area around the interior of the windows, needing a resin/fiberglass layer. I wonder if this foam material was used throughout the boat ?

As for the hull especially, was that also a foam/fiberglass laminate or wood/fiberglass ?

Was concrete used for ballast ?

Did they use epoxy resin? polyester resin ? Vinyl resin ? For any repairs, I'm thinking I will use epoxy resin.

Thank you for any insights.
Last edited by DTeeSail on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
monty

Re: T-26 Hull construction / upkeep

Post by monty »

Interesting boat, I see similarities to the C26. Rudder looks the same, keel also. Does it have a 2 piece iron shoe at the toe of the stub keel containing the pin for the swing keel? Ballast was a concrete/ lead buckshot mix on the C26. Is that damage at the rear of the fixed keel? C26 hull was not cored, cabin was cored with a phenolic resin saturated paper product by the looks of it. Other deck areas seem to just have plywood bonded to the skin then covered with a layer of glass - not truly cored construction. Definitely no foam in my '78!
monty
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
DTeeSail

Re: T-26 Hull construction / upkeep

Post by DTeeSail »

Thank you Monty,

I'm not sure about the 2 piece iron shoe, will have to look when I get back to her.

On the rear of the fixed keel, I'm not certain either. I'll check with the prior owner.

I wish I could post photos here, but the editor doesn't seem to allow it. Maybe the pink foam core I see around my windows was a prior repair. I'm not sure.

I'm sure enjoying learning and am eager to continue working on this.