Pop-top

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ChuckHyde

Pop-top

Post by ChuckHyde »

Okay, I've got a 1976 Chrysler Sandpiper 22 and absolutely love her except for one thing. I wish she was a pop-up. I'm 6'4" and would love the headroom. My question is would it be possible to make my boat a pop-up and if so, how difficult a job is it? Any ideas or inspiring comments are more than welcome.. Chuck
brigadoon

Re: Pop-top

Post by brigadoon »

Chuck,
I have a McGreggor 25 vintage sailboat that has a pop top as well as a c26. I don’t think there is any good way to turn your slider into a pop top without major modifications unless you can find a top from a factory unit. On my Mac the pop top is a cut out on the slider so you have both the slider and the pop top. The sliding part is structurally shaped so that with the top up it is still strong enough to walk on. If someone could send you a picture of a factory unit it might give you some ideas. One solution might be to build a hard dodger out of plywood that could slide in in place of the current sliding cover. If you did that you would have permanent head room without making permanent modifications to the boat,
Good luck and great sailing,
Rick ,SV Brigadoon
Skipper Dan

Re: Pop-top

Post by Skipper Dan »

If it has a slider like the 26 just remove the sliders and install two hinges in the front.