C26 May have found the leak

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Attaboy15

C26 May have found the leak

Post by Attaboy15 »

I've been chasing an odd leak. May have found the source while painting the bottom. Old caulking around the swing keel brackets.
While the boat was out for paint I took time to correct the float switch in the bilge so any water in the future should be expelled properly.
Attachments
2021-02-28 12.53.42-2.jpg
2021-02-28 12.38.00-1.jpg
Captain Ron
brigadoon

Re: C26 May have found the leak

Post by brigadoon »

I may be mistaken but I don’t believe the area around the shoe gives any entry into the boat. The shoe is held on to the hull with bolts into nut type fasteners imbedded in the fiberglass . A possible place for leaks might be through various hull penetrations (through hulls ) or possibly the keel pennant.
Hope you find your elusive leak.
Rick, SV Brigadoon.
monty

Post by monty »

I agree with brigadoon, caulking there is fine for fairing but not likely to stop any water intrusion. Where does your water show up? Just in the bilge? Or is it appearing on the floor beside the keel trunk?
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

I would find out if the water is coming from the top or the (Lake water) in the water or out so to speak. The main water leakage comes from the to rail.
Attaboy15

Post by Attaboy15 »

Thanks for the replies. It hasn't leaked at all since the bottom paint job and new caulking. The water would appear in the bilge and eventually spill over into the cabin area. Once there was several inches. I'll keep an eye on it.
Captain Ron
Attaboy15

Post by Attaboy15 »

Well I found out the leak is not fixed! Yesterday I checked the boat in it's slip and ran the bilge manually. Surprised it pushed out water for about 20 seconds before it began to sputter. Thankfully I do have a float switch to keep it out of the cabin. No rain, did not sail, just sat in it's slip. It's very odd to say the least.
Captain Ron
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Attaboy15
Sounds like you have at least determined the water is coming in from below the water line, I suggest that you check all the through hulls. .If the boat is out of the water make sure you note where all of them are located and then find access on the inside to monitor when back in the water.
Rick Sv Brigadoon
Erbardy

Post by Erbardy »

I just finished a partial restoration of my Chrysler 26. I first found some Water infiltration into the bilge from below the waterline. It came from two spots. One was from where the rudder penetrates through the hole underneath the aft birth. The other one came from the old hull penetration from the original knot meter. That is located under the head sole. Above the waterline I noticed leaks located at the deck joint with the hull. I took the toe rails off and resealed joint. My boat has been back in the water for One month now along with an automatic bilge installed. I did not notice any water in the bilge for several weeks. Now I did check on it after about two weeks of not checking I noticed some water in the bilge but not enough for the bilge pump to activate. I am not sure what’s going on now and I’m trying to diagnose the problem. It could still be coming from the toe rails. But the fix from runner shaft and the old knot meter is fixed.
Last edited by Erbardy on Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

If you have bilge water after a rain or sailing in large chop you should check all portals , hand rails , hinges on hatches, wire penetrations at the mast and nav lites, winches, push pit and bow rails. I realize you have likely looked at most or all of these but any place a bolt goes through the deck is a potential leak.Don’t overlook the hatch slides either. I know this is not much help, maby another member can chime in with a suggestion. Good luck!
Rick SV Brgadoon
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Just noticed you said no rain or sailing, If you have not repainted the bottom and the amount of water is small it could be osmosis .
Rick SV Brigadoon
Erbardy

Post by Erbardy »

Did you ever find out where the water leak came from?