Nesting dinghy

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
brigadoon

Nesting dinghy

Post by brigadoon »

C04720E3-6327-40A2-BE68-4B51D1C58B08.jpeg
I q
Quite a while back I bought a gutted Fiberglas dinghy to use with my C26 . It’s an 8’ optimist style with a center board and 16’ cat type triangular sail. I wanted to be able to store it on the deck of the 26 so I repaired the fore deck and gunnels , installed mating bulkeds at the middle with a seat boxed in and cut it in half to make a nesting dinghy. It’s been 2 years and I can’t find a way to get the construction pics off my old camera but here is a picture of it stored in my hanger in Sequim (I live in Co ) . I’ll try to get some pics of it assembled when I get up there in April. I have had it out with both the oars and sail. If sailing with such a tall rig one needs to be ready to swim. The two hatches in the seat are water tight and the seat is a sealed unit. There are two sealed bouncy tanks one in the bow and a small one in the stern. I haven’t checked to see how it does when flipped yet but will before sailing it in the sound. I also have a small 2 stroke 2 hp outboard I mount on the transom. What is everyone else up to ?
Skipper Dan

Re: Nesting dinghy

Post by Skipper Dan »

Getting ready to finish my solar panel rack. I've gone electric! Hoping to get some more sailing in this year. retiring next, maybe this fall. Then it's off to the Gulf, Bahamas and who knows where. I just downloaded Sailaway a virtual sailing program to check out sailing times in real weather and currents. About 5 days from Lake Charles to Florida but I'm only 1/4 of the way there so maybe less.

Dan
brigadoon

Re: Nesting dinghy/ what are you doing

Post by brigadoon »

Skipper Dan,
I’ve seen your electric boat pics and am envious. Have you finished your upgrade alternator ? I would really like to see pics of your finished solar panel racks and alternator charging system.I’ve finished my gimbaled stove and force 10 heater using a heat powered fireplace fan. I have them here in my home in Co so I’ll have to get some pictures posted. When I’ve been able to be up on the Puget Sound it can be cool in mornings even in the summer , the heater will be mounted on the bulked by the center of the table. The Spam!!!!!!!! stove will be mounted in a cabinet (yet to be built)next to the sink as usual but the entire galley has already been moved to the starboard side to balance the batteries and head on the port .Keep information and pictures coming when you start your travels.
Rick, SV Brigadoon C26
Skipper Dan

Re: Nesting dinghy

Post by Skipper Dan »

I trashed the alternator idea. It got too expensive, they wanted $1000 just for an alternator that would work and the whole thing was getting to be too big. I went back to just don't go so fast! using a 2500 inverter generator and the 10 amp 60 volt charger. It would be nice to find a small diesel inverter like the Westinghouse 2500. I just decided to keep it more simple. It should start to warm up now in North Dakota so I can start working outside.

Dan