Winter Storage - Pictures

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CLS72

Winter Storage - Pictures

Post by CLS72 »

Hi -
How / where do you store/keep your boat for winter?
I ended up just putting a PVC frame (using 3/4 Gray PVC) and a industrial tarp on top.......hope it works;
The mast had to be stored on a separate rack (can't be used as part of the frame --per the marina regulations--)
I removed the stanchions (unscrewed them) and the pulpit as well to make it easier
The trailer is tilted up at the front to make water run
Share your ideas/pictures !!!
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_3228.jpg
brigadoon

Re: Winter Storage - Pictures

Post by brigadoon »

Looks good! What size tarp are you using ? I’ve shrink wrapped in the past but the material is exspensive and it’s hard to do well without the proper heat gun.
Rick
CLS72

Re: Winter Storage - Pictures

Post by CLS72 »

I ended up with a 12ft x 25ft tarp, marked as heavy duty, 10mil material. I paid the equivalent of $35 USD. there where larger/thicker options though. I had used a similar one -smaller size- to cover my summer patio furniture so had a reference point already.

At the middle the tarp covers around 1.5 ft below the siderails; at the bow it hangs low too much but is seemed ok; at the stern it covers about 2 ft down, just up to the OB engine mount (BTW, I removed the OB Engine and stored in my garage). Note that I removed the stanchions so that reduces the height needed for the frame structure. I saw a couple of old posts here that suggested that and it worked fine.

I think an ideal size would have been 14ft x 25ft so the sides could have been covered a bit more (or having a bit higher/steeper frame structure) but could not find one that size. I thought about paying to had it shrink-wrap it but it was too expensive considering it being a one-time usage only; looked at DIY but without the tools and lack of experience it was a no-go. The total cost of the structure was about $90 USD adding the PVC tubing frame and rope; the effort/time to build was not that bad. Still will need to check how it holds to snow/wind late in the season....