New to me C26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Highwinds

New to me C26

Post by Highwinds »

Hi all,

Will have a few questions for this group along the way. My wife and I drove her home 2.5 hours on Tuesday, have a lot of things to sort out on launching, mast raising, deck care, paints, Port lights, etc. Lots of good info. on this site, so thanks in advance! Open to suggestions on priorities such as fixing a few spider cracks,window and toe rail leaks, etc.

Previous owner took very good care of her. Sailing on the Finger Lakes in upstate NY. New to the bigger boat scene, but I have experience racing Lightnings. Wanted something a bit more laid back for non-racing days. This boat seemed like a good fit for my 2 teenagers and first mate who did not want to crouch in the cabin, lol. I looked at a few Catalina 25s, there are many out there.....but decided on the C26 as my wife gave it a thumbs up. No need to look further. Did not want a full keel for launching, trailering, storage and docking reasons.

Sad that companies are no longer making a 25 or 26 foot small cruiser anymore. If so, I would have bought one. Beneteau F25 comes to mind, but not available much in US.

Maybe even take her out on Lake Ontario for a few voyages if I ever get the time. Boat seems capable enough for that in reasonable conditions.

Kyle
Skipper Dan

Re: New to me C26

Post by Skipper Dan »

You are going to be glad you settled on the Chrysler 26, not a fancy name brand but one of the best boats in her class. I totally redid mine. Gutted her out and finished her the way I wanted.

Dan
Highwinds

Post by Highwinds »

Thanks Dan. I was just crawling around in the boat in the barn where I have it stored for now. Will clean it up a bit and sort out what goes where. Tons of room in the cabin for sure!
Highwinds

Post by Highwinds »

Here are a few pics. Drove well with the Ram, just kept it below 50 mph and it was quite stable. Now I need to sort out raising the mast and finding a suitable boat launch.
C26 a.jpg
c26 b.jpg
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

Wow that's really nice looking. You should have seen mine when I got it. I pull mine with a 2000 1500 Chevrolet 70 mph no problem.
Mi Amor.jpg
Highwinds

Post by Highwinds »

70 mph would not work on this rig, I had some trailer sway over 50 - 55 that was a bit uncomfortable, especially going down hills. Need to sort that out. I know the boat has very little tongue weight the way it sits on the trailer, so the previous owner put some weight on the front of the trailer which can be removed (200 + pounds) I have a slip for this summer on the finger lakes, so will only have 2 trips this year, about 70 miles each way.

Kyle
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Now that is a couple of nice looking setups! It's one Chrysler I have not owned! The C26! Maybe one day!

Scott
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

Yes I noticed yours sat back a little from where mine sits but not much. I have a lot of tongue weight. Just move the boat ahead 6" to 12".

Dan
pneuma

Post by pneuma »

Bought a C26 Corsair (Fixed Keel) in 2008 from Ed in Yankton SD, and trailored it back to the Puget Sound (1500 miles). First time pulling a trailer. After a few hours and checks I stopped worrying. I really enjoy this boat. Previously sailed in a Catalina 27 and a J30. Both are nice boats, but this Chrysler is fun to sail and spacious for traveling, and affordable. I find raising the mast is quickest and easy with 3 or more people(10-15 minutes). First couple years I used some bridles while using the Boom as a gin pole, and the Main sheet and fiddle block to leverage the mast up from the bow sail hook. That took more than an hour for me to set up and put things away. For launching, I've been using a doubled 25 foot 3/8" chain at the ramp to lower the trailer and boat to the dock. The first few times I would tie the bow and stern down and pull the trailer out from under the boat. Pulling the boat has me counting on gravity to lower the trailer with the chain into the water under the boat, and connect the winch cable to the bow ring from the boat. I've considered getting a trailer tongue extention to push the trailer under the boat with more control. They lower Lake Washington about a foot and a half after Labor day each year. That makes the launching a little more difficult. I began work on the windows right away. Pulled, drilled, epoxied, drilled, and reassembled with Butyl tape under outside lip of frames. After 10 years I putting a poly paint on the deck, interior, and hull. Because the boat is on a trailer and I haven't left it in the water for more than 2 weeks, I'm considering not putting bottom paint on her. Hope some of this helps in the discussion.
Tim Brown
Highwinds

Post by Highwinds »

Thanks Tim. If it ever stops raining here in NY I'm going to try to step the mast a few times with 3 of us before I attempt at the launch. I have a set of bridles that came with the boat, plan to use the boom as the gin pole as you said. Will have to sort out the other parts and positions per the original instructions. Not sure if there is a better way. That mast is pretty beefy and want to be cautious, makes my Lightning mast seem like a toy, lol.

Kyle
pneuma

Post by pneuma »

When I first launched the boat in 2008, I tried to set up the mast by myself, with no bridle. I got the head about 10 feet up before it began going sideways. About 30 feet and 100lbs, it was too much to stop. I tore all 6 screws and the base out of the cabin top. I sat down and almost cried. I put the mast back atop the Bow and stern pulpits. After motoring it about, I took it back and and pulled it. When home, I drilled out the holes and epoxied them. Later, I drilled and re-installed the mast base plate. Back to normal, with a lesson learned.
Tim Brown
Highwinds

Post by Highwinds »

If there are any better instructions or images on C26 mast raising than the 1977 manual that someone has written up I would appreciate the link. I have poked around and found some things, but original instructions are not great.

Thanks!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Consider looking at the raising the mast on a C22. I believe they are very similar. There are many methods here on the forum for stepping the mast. Search for a few of them and take the best of all options that will work for you!
Scott
bjaeger

Post by bjaeger »

Hi Kyle. Glad to hear someone who sailed Ligntnings. In the summer of 1982 I crewed on a Lightning, sailing below UWGB campus on Green Bay. I was the "Chute Hand", and sailed with a great Captain. I really learned a lot that summer. They used a vise grip for a Plumb Line. Great vessel!
Bruce
Highwinds

Post by Highwinds »

Thanks Bruce. Lightnings are a great boat, I raced yesterday with my 2 teenagers and we had a wonderful time. After the parade this morning it's back to work on getting the C26 ready to hit the water in a few weeks.