Hurricane Florence

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gus

Hurricane Florence

Post by Gus »

I have the Chrysler 22 in storage in Hampstead, NC, and apparently it made it through the storm just fine (according to the boatyard at least). I'm curious to go down and take a look to be honest, but I think everything still closed down there.

Maybe is a sign from Poseidon?

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
jsa

Re: Hurricane Florence

Post by jsa »

My gal, Miss Marian, rode it out about on her trailer at Lake Waccamaw (a little west of Wilmington). Someone sent some pictures to me yesterday and both my C22 and Hobie 16 appear to be OK. I strapped the 22 to the trailer with heavy duty stuff and tilted her so that the back of the trailer rested on the ground in hopes to drain water fast. She sits a little bit bow down on the trailer and flooded on the trailer during Matthew.

We plan to ride down to the club tomorrow to clean up and survey damage. SE NC sure got it rough in this one. That was a LOT of water.
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

According to a neighbor, my 26 rode out Florence in the water at the dock. We went down the Monday before and I add extra lines and set an anchor way out in the creek. We emptied out our boathouse and took everything over to our house about a mile off the water. We had the Venture 22, an 18 ' powerboat, a 13' powerboat, 2 Sunfish, a Phantom and 3 kayaks in the garage. The boats were strapped securely to their trailers. the boardboats had the transom plugs pulled and the cockpit drains jammed open and I filled the kayaks with water. I knew the boats would float with their trailers ,they did with Irene. We have a 12' ceiling then 20" floor trusses so the water can get pretty deep before boats get into the house. Still, when they were predicting a 13" surge I had some concern.

We had 48" of water in the garage with Irene, only 40" with Florence. The neighbor looked in the garage and said everything appeared to be OK. We'll see.

We go down tomorrow to pressure wash mud out of the garage, repack trailer bearings and do general post hurricane clean up.

Clair
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Glad to hear everyone fared well!

Scott
jsa

Post by jsa »

I'm happy to report that both my C22 and Hobie 16 made it through the storm unscathed. Tilting the C22 on the stern kept water from entering through the companionway as it sometimes can on the trailer and she was bone-dry upon inspection. Our club was fortunate to not sustain much damage as well. Unfortunately, many homes in the area were not as fortunate. Pretty much the entire south-western side of the lake was over the shore and into the canals. Many homes were flooded and it was heartbreaking to see everyone removing their damaged possessions to the street. The lake level is still exceptionally high, and unfortunately that water will be heading down the river to already devastated areas. It's astonishing how this storm continues to have an impact on people.