Installing Transom Ladder

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.

Moderator: CaptainScott

jsa

Installing Transom Ladder

Postby jsa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:11 am

Hello,

I was able to salvage a very nice transom ladder off of a junked boat at my club and I am planning on installing it on my 22. Have any of you done this? It's the standard three bolt per hinge, flip up/down type ladder. Should I glass in a backing plate of marine plywood, or is the glass thick enough with oversized washers to spread the load? Can you think of anything I should take into consideration? I know it will require a solid application of quality sealant. I plan to install in on the starboard side of the outboard motor, since the throttle is on the port side.

James

brigadoon

Re: Installing Transom Ladder

Postby brigadoon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:49 am

Hi James,
It's best if you install some reinforcement behind the supports to spread the load. You can likely get away without it in the short term but eventually the fiberglass will start with spiderweb cracks around the bolts. A good example is to look at improperly mounted staunchness. Don't forget to drill oversize bolt holes , fill with epoxy to seal any core and then re drill with proper size for the bolts . This will protect the core material if the transom is not solid fiberglass where you mount the ladder. Good luck.
Rick

jsa

Postby jsa » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks for the reply! I didn't know the trick about drilling over-sized holes and filling with epoxy. I'll be sure to do that. That certainly makes sense. I do know that water intrusion at the transom is bad news.

Khaverhals

Postby Khaverhals » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:25 pm

First time poster/ long time lurker.
When I installed a mine on a C22 I had to remove the foam flotation on the inside of the starboard transom. I used G10 board for backing plate , with oversized washers. The bottom step of the ladder is flush with the pushpit rail when flipped up. The outside stand off on the ladder is as far outboard as I could get it. Works great. Tech challenged so not sure on how to attach photos.
"If your friend is a good sailor and the craft is sea worthy, I will go sailing! Ya, Lets go Sailing!" -Bob

Return to “General Chrysler Sailing Discussion”