I gave myself heartburn!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

I gave myself heartburn!

Post by CaptainScott »

Normally in my life I do not let things get to me.

Not this time!

Just over a week ago I discovered one of our underwater emergency through hull valves is broken!!! Oh crap! For those who do not know, Destiny is our pride and joy! She is a 40' Beneteau Oceanis that we spend a lot of time on.

Thoughts of immediate haul out, Destiny sinking, and other nasty things are running through my head! YIKES! Wait a minute, slow down, I don't even know how long it has been broken. No obvious water ingress and the valve case looks completely intact. I simply can not operate the valve. The hand screw has broken off inside. and the valve is stuck closed!

Whew! A little time to regroup my thoughts. That evening I sent an email to a group of local sailors. My thoughts are to put a cork in the through hull from the outside underwater, unscrew the valve from the inside, expect SOME water ingress, screw on new valve. Be done! I was asking for practical advice. Should I haul her or is my simple plan workable?

OMG the email responses I received!over a couple of days the stories I read clearly indicated I was blatantly stupid for even considering the operation in the water below the waterline! All from seasoned adult sailors. All describe things that could go wrong. YIKES

The last email advice I received and read was the deciding factor. It simply stated you have the perfect plan. Now execute it. He had done the exact same thing very successfully. I quite reading responses to me after that advice.

So, I studied the metals and noted no corrosion on on the threads, no dissimilar metals issues, nothing. Simply an aged valve. For the next week, every other day I was squirting penetrating anti seize on the valve and through hull.

Sunday morning with the plug in, I carefully twisted the valve off with pipe wrenches, used sealant and reinstalled the new valve. I sat there totally amazed at how simple the job was with a little preparation and planing.

Yes, we pulled the plug and there are no leaks.
No Poseidon did not claim Destiny Sunday morning.
Yes I felt silly for all the worrying about the job.
Yes it was completely planned out and successfully executed! LOL!

I guess the moral is to don't over think, just make a good plan, go over it and over it refining any necessary details. Then just execute it!

Ah, it feels good not thinking about this issue anymore! :)

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Good job !

Reminds me of that email conversation we had about how our modern fiberglass hulls are so maintenance free that we don't think about the attachments and also they tend to outlive the things like thru hulls and plumbing..

Wooden boats are just more of an upkeep mindset (as opposed to our 'Clorox bottles' as the old schoolers call them)
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Good work on a simple plan. You must be relieved. Your story reminds me why I like this forum--it's very civil. No one has ever called me stupid here, and I've given them plenty of opportunities. :D
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

We always worry about our loved ones, when we know something is wrong :wink:
I like it; Have the perfect plan. Now execute it.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Capt. Scott...I understand your angst over something like this. I'm glad it all worked out for you and Destiny.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks guys!

Yeah, It kind of got me excited! LOL! I'm glad I spent a week soaking with anti seize! It came apart pretty easily!

Yes EE I remember! Our plastic boats are so wonderful as far as a maintenance free hull compared to wood! LOL! Destiny was selected for many reasons however lack of wood was one of the factors considered!

I love the old school salty look but I am lazy too! LOL!

Scott