C 20 Cabin Floor Rot - Project?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bourque_brian@hotmail.com

C 20 Cabin Floor Rot - Project?

Post by bourque_brian@hotmail.com »

Hi: I am looking at a C 20 that has been sitting for a couple of years. Water has collected to the point where there is some visible rotting. I have a couple of photos and am hoping to correspond with a few owners on what this project looks like and might entail, if I were to take it on.

I'd appreciate any replies, I do have photos here[/img]
http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a47 ... lkbf8o.jpg

Thanks!
Last edited by bourque_brian@hotmail.com on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

Welcome to the forum. Pictures will certainly help folks understand and comment on your project. I have a 26 that has some rot in the cabin sole. I tore it up, and am waiting for warmer weather to glass in some new wood. So far I would say it is hard work (tearing out the old glass and rotted plywood), but not at all difficult. I don't foresee any great difficulty in getting it all back together when things warm up. (famous last words...)
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

That looks pretty bad. Again, I don't think it would be technically hard to fix. I would try to cut out what is there, use it for templates to make new, then glass it back in. If you enjoy projects for the sake of restoring things, I don't think it should keep you away. If you are more looking just to get sailing, I might advise to keep looking for something cleaner. Lots of variables, and no right or wrong choice. I have loved learning to sail, and I have also enjoyed the projects I have done on my boats. Whatever path you take, enjoy.