2 videos of hull. opinions appreciated 1979 c26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
rc12ls

2 videos of hull. opinions appreciated 1979 c26

Post by rc12ls »

Hello, I'm considering buying this 1979 c26 that is slipped in salt water. The day I arrived to buy the boat the keel cable broke and it pulled the hose off the keel cable tube. The cabin filled with water ,ankle high, until we removed the winch panel and replaced the hose. I really like the boat so I offered to dive and replace the cable- this offered me a chance to inspect the keel. I dove and replaced the cable and cleaned the keel and keel trunk which was full of marine growth including what look like clams ! In video "keel 2" you can see ,at the beginning, I focus on a fiberglass chip and an area where it looks like marine growth burrowed into a small area of the fiberglass. After removing marine life from keel/trunk , I wound the new cable onto the winch but the swing keel was seized. I'm not sure how much force I was suppose to exert but I could her creaking and tension was way up there. I was laying some good solid pressure on that handle !!! I've lifted heavier with a Come-Along and didn't need as much pressure. please watch Videos and give some opinion. Thank You, Eddie
Watch video In fullscreen- you'll be able to see burrow better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtMmtsWRX7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_RZDk0TaY
[/url]
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

My wife routinely winches up the keel in Windwalker. There is a "grab " initially, I assume a friction fit when the keel is down, and then there is only moderate tension until the keel is up. She is not a physically strong woman.

If I were thinking of buying this boat, I would run away as fast as I could, unless I was prepared to haul it and completely redo the bottom, remove any bottom paint and growth, repair ALL of the blisters and burrows, refair and repaint the bottom. I would expect damage from the marine life.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hard to verbally describe how the keel fits in that pocket, but I'll try...

Shouldn't be much effort at all to crank up - my first impression is that the keel head is jammed in the trunk by all the growth.

That head part is designed to wedge in there a bit anyway - when the keel is all the way down the actual front/top of it is resting at the back end of the keel trunk you see inside, just in front of the winch cable. In fact if the cable breaks with the keel up it will blow a hole in the back of the trunk sometimes..

You can get an idea of the keel shape here courtesy of Jeff and Windward
http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/sail ... acket.html

Its somewhat boomerang shaped and the pivot pin is there at the point near the center. So even after cleaning the main rear part of the pocket, you may need to jam a flat metal bar around the front area on all sides and in front

Also when you are cranking the keel back up there needs to be room for the head part to move from the back of the trunk to the front and anything living/dead in there will stop you, and it could be obscured from view.

Might require a crane lift with the keel still down and a good blasting to free it all up.

Great boats by the way, usually worth the effort if the price is right
rc12ls

Post by rc12ls »

Everyone ,who owns one, does seem to enjoy these boats. It's one of the largest trailer-able that is still practical to launch and has standing room within the cabin. I examined the drawings and see the hidden cavity when keel is down. The owner recently informed me that Driscoll Boat Works is going to lift it into their shipyard , remove the keel and clean both trunk and keel. They will do all fiberglass repair work and finally paint the keel and trunk with epoxy copper paint. . If he does that , I think It would be well worth purchasing for 5k ? The boat comes with a 10hp 4-stroke with 20hrs, dual axle trailer with hydraulic surge brakes and all the standing rigging has been replaced with slightly heavier cables about 6 years ago(he has documentation). The sails are very crisp and strong , have no mildew and a roller fuller with a 150 genoa.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Considering the trailer, the outboard, and the furler - I would go for it myself, assuming the boat has no other major issues you've found. Of course when it comes to boats, I get a bit unsound judgement-wise, lol.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Remember EE 12 steps . . . . .12 steps . . . . . .12 steps!

LOL!

Scott
rc12ls

Post by rc12ls »

So, I'm getting advice from boat addicts !!! It looks like the windows may leak so I imagine they'll need to be removed and resealed- walls are not soft around the windows. The stanchions have stains around the brackets and I'll pull ,clean and replace bolts. I haven't found any soft spot.. The rudder rotates but the ropes need replacing. The rudder tube looks fine. I will replace the electrical for my own piece of mind and redo the pluming. I figure another B.O.A.T and she'll be a nice Catalina Island boat for the family.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

rc12ls wrote:So, I'm getting advice from boat addicts !!!
The 12 step program Scott refers to is the one where my wife says if I go within 12 steps of another boat she will beat me with a tiller. :wink:
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

Again, you are on the Chrysler owners forum. Of course you should buy it! And I can confidently give you that advice having no idea what the price is. As for the swing keel, I am not surprised it is crunchy from all of that growth. I question the wisdom of having a swing keel boat sit in salt water all the time. It seems you are just asking for this sort of thing to happen. The joy of the swing keel is being able to trailer the boat, thus avoiding lift fees, slip fees, etc... I would assume at very least you will need to do is pull the keel out, and give it and as much of the pocket as you can get at a good coat of antifouling. I sail in fresh water though, so others can give better thoughts on this.
As for the windows, they are an easy fix. I bought new plexiglass, removed the old windows, cut the new to shape, and reinstalled in a few days working a few hours after work each day. Enjoy the boat if you end up buying it.