Purchase of C-20: What to look for?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
kevinkearns

Purchase of C-20: What to look for?

Post by kevinkearns »

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering a purchase of a '78 C-20. I've owned a number of boats from Flying Scots to Capri 22's but I'm not really familiar with the Chrysler line other than the good things that many people say about their sailing qualities. From a design perspective the C-20 looks like a great boat for our current needs, but I'm not familiar with their construction and engineering.

Can anyone tell me what I should be especially attentive to when I inspect this boat? Any "typical" trouble spots that C-20s of this vintage often show? The current owner said that there had previously been significant leakage from the life line stanchions into the cabin. He claims to have fixed it, but that concerns me. Are there issues with leakage around the stanchions or around the rub rail? How is the deck attached to the hull in these boats -- rivets or some other method? Anything else I should look for?

Many thanks for your advice in what to look for.

Kevin Kearns,
Pittsburgh
Kevin Kearns
Pittsburgh
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome !

One thing about leaks at the stanchions that would concern me is was any water damage done to the deck core around the stanchions, so look for soft spots there.

The boats are somewhat prone to toerail leaks, but no more than others of the same design..

I think the C20, C22, and C26 all have the same deck/hull joint; fastened with screws thru the toerail, behind the rubber rub rail.

You can find some details courtesy of Windward at
http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/sail_toerail.html
kevinkearns

c-20

Post by kevinkearns »

Thanks! This is really helpful!
Kevin
Kevin Kearns
Pittsburgh
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OH man, I had a C20 for a short period of time!
Picked it up to restore and sold it before I had a chance to do anything to it! Had a friend that wanted it as is!

Do the basic sailboat checks,
run a cloth ( not bare hand ) and run it down the shrouds and stays looking for any cables with fishooks. That indicates the rigging has been stressed. Walk the fordeck albeit small every few inches looking for soft spots.

Watch the stantions while you walk the deck and cockpit. if they significantly move then it warrants closer inspection.

Anything soft, inspect, anything that sounds unnaturally dry and brittle also warrants extra looks.

For giggles I'd crawl into the boat stern under the cockpit and do a looksie at the rudder post. Look for anything obvious.

Good luck!!!
C20 is a cool boat!
Scott