Sew what?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Papax3

Sew what?

Post by Papax3 »

Hey all,

My C22 sail compliment is a new Main, and a new 110% Jib. By and large, they're great stuff (Yay Sail Warehouse!). I asked a poll question a couple of posts back, but no one really replied. The 110% Jib {hanked-on}/ no roller-furler on my boat, has nearly gotten me in trouble a few times already, in moderately strong wind. I sailed without jib weekend before last, just to see how it would do... and was pleased with how the boat performed - I didn't think I'd even be able to steer it without the jib. I'm working towards a permanent reefing system for the main on my boat, but am still leery that it won't be enough of a drop in sail, with the 110% still up.

SEW.....
I'm taking the makeshift jib that came with the boat when I bought it, and am paring it down to an 90% jib. All I'll be doing, is cutting the foot back from the mast some (foot will be about 7.5 feet), and then follow that point up to the top. The plan is to use Polyester thread/ sewing machine, and then sew the original cringle back in by hand. Anyone have any sew-sail experience?
Do they make useful glues to build up the cringle area with extra sail material before they sew it together? If you have some experience, or some solid advice, throw it my way!

* I also learned that you can paint {an old sail} with Rustoleum Plastics Spray Paint {design work}, and it really will work just fine. New sails are embedded with a chemical that WON'T allow paint to stick, but old sails like my jib ~which is dirty and stained~ will do very well {this info comes from textile artists forums that talk about painting Dacron}. Generally, the paint seems to last at least 5 years. I'll paint a design that matches the color of the yellow staining... maybe like a big Sun.

Last sail weekend, we went to an island that was sadly littered with a major amount of trash, from other people's lack of concern and consideration.
We found a tent, an inflatable lounge chair, bottles with urine in them, golf balls, cut glass, plastics galore, *a LARGE Spam!!!!!!!! toy, and a huge piece of polyurethane foam.... and the 50 gallon trash can {underwater} that all of it must have come in. Pitiful.

On your next sail, pick up a little around paradise just for me, would ya?
Let's keep Chrysler Sailors as example-setters.

Thanx!
Bill Williams
Safety
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I Agree . . . . . .

One of the best ways to prevent littering is don't take it aboard!

When we spent time aboard we eliminate as much extra garbage before loading the boat.

A lot of stuff is double packaged. For example, take a box of cereal. Inside is a BAG of cereal. Leave the box at home and take the bag. Same with a LOT of stuff. Toothpaste, poptarts, etc etc etc.

Just ideas to make us more aware!

Scott
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Sewing shops sell basting tape for sticking seems together before you stitch them up. You can also order it from SailRite.