Proud new owner

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ThunderGod

Proud new owner

Post by ThunderGod »

So....I was debating back and forth on whether I should buy a sailboat I saw listed in NY. It was a 22 foot Chrysler. with lots of extras. I waited, and the price came down. Man am I happy!
I got a great deal on the boat. It looks good. It will need a lot of elbow grease, but I couldn't beat the deal. Can't wait to get to know all of you better as the project progresses. I will post pics as soon as I upload them.
ThunderGod

Post by ThunderGod »

ThunderGod

Post by ThunderGod »

MaverickSailing

Post by MaverickSailing »

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the forum.
Maverick Sailing
Chrysler C26
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Looks good and welcome aboard the forum.
Bill
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sweet ! Nice Irish name too
ThunderGod

Thank you

Post by ThunderGod »

Thank you! I can't believe all the information you have all shared on this website. If I hadn't found you when researching the boat, I never would have taken the leap. I purchased the boat from a museum in Hudson Valley NY. It had been donated to them. This is my first boat. All i've ever owned before now are canoes and kayaks, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks again!
ThunderGod

complications

Post by ThunderGod »

Well.....went to pick up the boat today, and it had about 6 inches of water inside. I'm not sure where it came from. I brought a friend, and we were going to take the mast down when I found out that the hole in the mast foot where the gin pole pin goes was cracked and missing the bottom side, so it was unusable.
We ended up muscling the mast down without any complications, but now I am starting to second guess my purchase. This is my first boat of any kind, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.
I knew this would be a project before I purchased it, but that was before I saw all of that water inside (it had been dry inside when I went to look at it and pay for it.)
As far as the gin pole goes, is there another way to attach one?
I will try to post pics, but it will have to wait until friday when I can get back to the boat yard. The trailer it was on was not road worthy (broken lugs, hubs oozing grease, and overall bad shape.) They are going to swap it onto a used trailer that has rollers.
I could really use some words of encouragement, or someone to just smack some sense into me and tell me it's not worth the hassle. I feel bad because once my kids heard about the boat they got very excited. We are planning on taking sailing/boating classes together. My wife was ...ahem ..less than happy when I first told her about it, but she has come around. She grew up around water and always loved to sail the small 1 person sailboats. I figured this would be a great way to spend quality time together. Now, looking at it again, I wonder if I will ever get it into the water.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You'll get there, and the kids will be just as excited because they won't see all the issues you do-they'll just see "we got a sailboat!!!" Plus there's the whole free enthusiastic labor thing there too :wink:

Somebody may have just left a hatch cracked open too.

On the mast step, my friend's older Mac 26 does not have a hole in the mast foot for a pin, and his gin pole has a strap that wraps around the mast base instead, so there are other ways...

(EDIT) You can see a pic of the M26 gin pole here
http://www.svwhale.com/q1mastup.shtml
but I think my buddy's strap goes around the mast in the back as well..
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Wow, nice boat! Congratulations. It is a happy day to get your Chrysler sailboat and be on this forum.

I think you've found one of the really good ones looking at the photo's. And you've found the right place to get you questions answered on anything Chrysler or sailing. These folks are the best. They have always kept me on course 100% of the time.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Reality

Post by Reality »

re water inside - look in the fuel locker (compartment at rear center of cockpit) Rain normally runs into this compartment. If there is a crack in the compartment floor, water will run into the cabin. Mine had a crack there and water was coming in. I sealed it with spray on truck bed liner. Previous owner had mounted the heavy battery in there and I imagine a crack developed during trailering.
Careyr

Post by Careyr »

I hope you check in on this once in a while. When I read your plea for encouragement it struck a heart string and I wanted to have something to say to you. Sorry it has been so late.
Although your boat and my boat have different names, the hulls have been made from the exact same molds and except for upper deck appearances they are the same boat.
I am 66, a die-hard sailor from the tender age of 5, and my views toward sailing might be more radical than that of some others. So take that into account.
When I read about your boat having six inches of water in it, I had to smile because the first thought in my mind was, "Cool! It means his boat is waterproof!!" After all, you did not say anything about water pouring out of it onto the ground! That is a big plus you got: right up front!
My story for you is very humbling, but my boat has had that affect on me as I have been restoring it over the last 5 years.
5 years ago I purchased the boat, simply because I loved her lines. It was everything I had been looking for! During the winter of 2010 I worked furiously so she could go sailing with me. In August of 2011 I sailed her for one week and was so in love with my boat. But there were many problems, so I have spent the last four years working on her, checking off each item on the list. One problem the boat had which drove me nuts: every summer when the tarps were off, every time it rained there would be gallons of water in the boat. I tried everything. Pulled all the deck fittings, epoxied shut, re-drilled and re-set. Just this year I replaced the port lights because I knew they were letting water in.
It rained more this summer than I could say and my boat got more water in it than I could tell. Then one day just after a rainstorm I climbed in the boat and saw where water had been pouring in: it was through the brand new Ritchie Compass I had installed in the winter of 2010! Stupid manufacturer! lol
It is early to tell, but if you fall in love with your boat as some folks have that I know, each problem dished your way is simply a challenge. And I am finding that as I overcome each challenge, I get to know my boat better. To me, that means that when I am out on the water, a close relationship between my boat and me makes my sailing experience a more beautiful experience. Heck, someday it might save my life!
I hope you take your C22 and go all the way. Meet every challenge and the two of you will win!! You own one fine boat!!
Carey
1981 TMI 22: "Ms.Chief"
ThunderGod

Thank you

Post by ThunderGod »

I wanted to thank you all for the encouragement. I got the boat home (which was an adventure). As I look it over, I find myself getting excited again. First thing's first. I now have to figure out a trailer because I don't think the trailer she is on will suffice. I'll post a picture that will make you all laugh.
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

If you search my name, there is a post from 2009 where I described how to repair that mast base. I took a piece of 1/8" stainless strap, drilled some holes in it, and wrapped it around the mast base securing it with four 1/4" stainless stove bolts. I drilled a 5/8" hole for the mast pin to go in. I've been using it at least twice a year for 6 years now, and it works fine.

Mine was also broken out at the bottom and would not hold the pin. I very much recommend using the pin. I use a piece of 5/8" stainless rod.

After it slipped into the boom, and rattled around in there all summer, I had to drill the rivets out of the end boom casting to get it out.

After that, I put a hose clamp on the pin so that it couldn't repeat the performance.

You've got a great boat. It will serve you well and is better built than many boats of that era. Plus, it sails well. I have sailed mine in Pamlico Sound and briefly in the Atlantic.

Visit my blog in my signature.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
Papax3

Nice catch!

Post by Papax3 »

First, you really did buy something... Great Boats. You picked well: congratulations! These boats track like freight trains.
Second, (time to get real):
Having replaced my keel pin brackets and pin already... Make sure that gets on the very top of your list of things to do, if it hasn't happened already. I know what's down there, and the pin itself will be fine... But the brackets are cooked, I assure you. Mine broke apart when extracted... At least the parts that weren't already gone. Captain Scott has a whole series of pictures that will help. The boat is jacked up, and the (800 lb.) keel is not removed from the pocket, merely rolled backwards a bit for access.
Third, don't try to step this mast by yourself. It's exceedingly beefy. Make a 2x4 hand winch system that lashes to the bow, and then links to the mast. It's impossible to get the foot of the mast onto the hook by yourself (hot tip: get a push pole, and have a friend raise it up until you can lock it in). Then one person on each shroud as you crank it up. All in all, I have to say, trailer ing these things is NOT that fun. After those two things, everything else seemed pretty simple to me.
Have a blast, you bought a good one!
Bill
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
Papax3

More helpful hints

Post by Papax3 »

Thundergod (and Mrs. Thunderness-ess) :lol:

Trailer: Once you deal with the keel-pin brackets (and this is no small chore, but quite necessary), you can fairly quickly sand and paint the bottom, and I would then encourage you to find a slip, or mooring somewhere. I tried valiantly to trailer my Chrysler 22, thinking it wouldn't be that much of an ordeal. I'm a "take the pain" type of guy, so I gave it a shot. I wore my kids out. I wore ME out. Do yourself a favor, deal with the bottom of the boat (forgot to include the rudder/ rudder ropes), and then just get it in the water, unless you are going to go full-bore on it.
Trailering will wear you out, because once it's up... and getting it up is a little frightening acutally, you still have to: secure the boat, park the trailer, unhook the trailer, park the car, load the boat, put up the boom, pull out the sails, attach the sails, make sure you haven't forgotten anything, realize you just wasted half a day, and then watch the wind die.
It. Can. Be. A. S-T-R-U-G-G-L-E.

Fix whatever's underneath the boat, and put it in the water.
"But I get water in my boat!" .... so do I. I'm STILL tracking that down.
As long as it's not -ahem- boatloads, then just live with it, and one-by-one, cure the sources of water intrusion as you find them (hint: use a water hose and isolate each area of expected water intrusion... you'll cure your problem MUCH faster, if you isolate them one by one).

ENJOY THAT BOAT NOW. SHAKE IT DOWN NOW. What will come out of that (WITH) wife on board, is a FAR better list of priorities. Listen to what she has to say, because having everyone enjoy it, is what you're really after.

Most people HATE the galley, see it as wasted space, and chunk it.
I never had one, but I can tell I wouldn't want one.

You DO realize that you can SLEEP out on this boat extremely comfortably, don't you? It's F-U-N. DO IT ! The sails can make nice pillows.

Google: Sail Warehouse: you WANT a new Mainsail, and a new Coastal {110% jib}. You're done after that... nothing else to think about.
Buy bulk running riggin (rope) online - about 250 feet.... Make sure ALL of it is 3/8th's of an inch diameter.... that will cover everything. THEN... think three times before you cut. In the end, you will STILL save a bundle of money doing it this way. Remember, the jib rope can be {one} piece of rope, and then just put your jib in the middle of it... it makes tacking a little easier, because TWO jib ropes means two knots, and they catch on the sidestays (shrouds/ standing rigging) ALOT. One rope with jib in the middle is pretty cool.

Tiller handle - you will discover, it's too damned long. {I believe} the tiller handle was an effort to be able to single-hand the boat while {standing} in the cockpit. Yup, you can do that pretty easy. But it's still in the damned way. Answer: MAKE YOUR OWN - I turned one on a 1930 lathe... hell, as long as one end is square, you can do it with a pocket knife.... when you do, MAKE IT SHORTER ! My kids love the new one !

To the both of you - if you attack this boat as a team, and work hard together, in a very short time, you can have a fantastic boat that will last you literally, the rest of your lives. Sailing, Fishing, Camping, Overnighting, Socializing... it's a MUCH bigger package than you realize.

Take advantage of your good fortune.... YOU. PICKED. WELL !

Get in it, and GET ON IT !
Bill Williams
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

Thundergod - how's it going? Have you made progress with the project?
I just bought my boat on Friday and discovered a very similar situation as yours (got it home to pump out 15 gallons of water).

Careyr - I thought your response was great. I found it very encouraging.

Cheers,
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Wow have I been slacking! Congrats on the boat and welcome albeit late aboard!

Scott