Stern to Aft Berth gaps in C26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jarroyo

Stern to Aft Berth gaps in C26

Post by jarroyo »

I am repairing gelcoat cracks on my C26 stern as well as some fiberglass cracks in the Stern floor to avoid water leaking into the aft Berth end area. I noticed there are some gaps to the sides (starboard and port). I think that water might zip in from those areas into the Aft Berth (see pictures). My question is:

Is this supposed to be this way?

I was thinking on putting some fiberglass CSM layers and seal both sides. My concern is that I really don't know if this was designed the way it is now. I might cover the area and then get stress cracks or God knows what...

Any thoughts? Here are the pictures:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwtPF ... authuser=0

s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
MaverickSailing

Post by MaverickSailing »

I have the same gaps on mine and while I think you would have stern of the boat flooded to get water through them, I am planning to fiberglass mine in, so that I can keep the bugs from coming into the cabin.
Maverick Sailing
Chrysler C26
Reality

Post by Reality »

looking at the pics I'd start to get concerned about structural integrity for reasons other than leakage. The fiberglass does more than keep water out.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

if those gaps are between the berth and the motor well that is what I am currently working on. My concern is carbon monoxide leaking in from the out board.

It is hard to get to but I sanded arond the gap on both sides as best I could. Then i laid up a sheet of fiberglass on a piece pf glass. i plan to cut a rough profile from this and epoxy it in place. then I will seal it tighter around the edges with more cloth and resin.
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

Thanks all. From your comments. I would assume that those gaps come as they are from the factory. If that is so... I wonder what was the purpose?

I guess I will have to decide whether or not to leave them as is.

All of you have good points. If I go with sealing them, I would like to have it done having in mind what Reality said. I am more concerned about structural integrity.

So, what would be the best approach to have this areas sealed and add structural integrity? Any thoughts or experiences?
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
Reality

Post by Reality »

If it's not structural and not external visible try spray on truck bed liner in aerosol cans. I had a small non-structural crack in the fuel locker leaking water into the boat and used that to seal it.
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

Holiday wrote:if those gaps are between the berth and the motor well that is what I am currently working on. My concern is carbon monoxide leaking in from the out board.

It is hard to get to but I sanded arond the gap on both sides as best I could. Then i laid up a sheet of fiberglass on a piece pf glass. i plan to cut a rough profile from this and epoxy it in place. then I will seal it tighter around the edges with more cloth and resin.
What is pf glass? Can you provide some pictures of your work? Thanks.
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Sorry for the typo. It should say piece of glass. Just a piece of window glass for a flat surface to mold a flat piece of fiberglass. Sorry I don't have pictures. Its hard to take pictures when your hands are all sticky with resin.
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

I will have to look at my boat this week to see if it is the same. I can't imagine much will be gained structurally. If our boats have managed 40 years without solid attachment there, I wouldn't worry about it. Fumes from the outboard does sound like a legitimate concern, in which case I would consider using some spray foam to seal it off.
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

Holiday wrote:Sorry for the typo. It should say piece of glass. Just a piece of window glass for a flat surface to mold a flat piece of fiberglass. Sorry I don't have pictures. Its hard to take pictures when your hands are all sticky with resin.
Ok. Got it - a piece of glass. I am planning to close them... not sure with what material. I have some marine plywood, PVC and some plexiglass. I will go with whatever can assure wont crack.

About the pictures, I totally understand... I have missed to take some pictures of my work mostly for the mess with resin... :D
Kenr74 wrote:I will have to look at my boat this week to see if it is the same. I can't imagine much will be gained structurally. If our boats have managed 40 years without solid attachment there, I wouldn't worry about it. Fumes from the outboard does sound like a legitimate concern, in which case I would consider using some spray foam to seal it off.
You got a point... dont really know how much will be gained structurally. Don't really know if spray foam will do the trick. This holes are big and will need backing support. Just a thought...
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26