I thought it impossible...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
OutnBacker

I thought it impossible...

Post by OutnBacker »

I never thought it could happen - lightning striking twice in the same spot. Last year, some may remember my story of how I acquired my Chrysler 20. It was the result of a missed opportunity to land a Montgomery 17. The C-20 was on C-List, then disappeared, then I went for the Monty, but it sold before I could beg, borrow, or steal the money from my wife. Heart ripped out, I resigned my self to misery and eventual death by lethal beaching.

Well, that same Monty came up on C-list again last week and I got it. I finally got a Montgomery 17 after literally years of waiting for the moon and stars to align with the bank account.

Now that I have both the Chrysler and the M-17 on the same hard, I have really gone thru and had the chance to compare, part by part, lay up, tabbing, hardware, etc.

Let me say that if anyone has any doubts about the sturdiness and qualities of a Chrysler (I've had both the 22 and the current 20), you may rest assured that they are built very nearly as well as the Montgomery, which is legendary. I say nearly as well only because they differ in the way they put the lid on, and that's about all. My C-20 is like thumping a maple butcher block when I tap the hull and the layup is thicker and stiffer.

So, I'll be selling the C-20 and going with the Monty on into Valhalla most likely. I can't keep both, and I'm getting more sore every year, so even though I thought the 20 was about ideal, I'm going even smaller.

...how 'bout that lightning, huh?
Current: '75 Montgomery 17 #65
Current: '78 Chrysler 20
Past: '78 Chrysler 22
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18
Forever: '83 Grumman 17, gunter rigged with jib and trimaran outriggers.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I remember you wanting that boat!
Glad you finally managed to get it! Good thing is you'll still be around and we might get yet another Chrysler sailor when you sell Chance!

Congrats! You'll have to do a show and tell day though!

Scott

PS: It does not exist without photos! LOL!
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Congratulations...I love the look of the the Monty. I hope that you enjoy every minute with her.
Bill
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Capt. Scott:
No pics yet but I'll get one up soon. It doesn't show well inside my shop. To me, the M-17 is not a remarkably lovely boat. Too short to be real graceful looking. There has to be a break point for how well lines can be drawn for beauty while leaving in the practical features that make a capable cruising boat. I think it's the same with small cars - very few are really nice looking IMO. Personally, I like the look of the C-20 better.

Just look for the M-17 with a blue hull and white top, dirty stained raggy sails, and if there is light wind - a pale blue genoa. And oh yeah, look for the out-of-scale skipper sitting back there like a bear on a roller skate.

Astrorad: They made a few M-17's with a flush deck - no cabin and just a small square hole for two people. It was used for racing. Now that one looks beautiful. To me, the M is a practical looking boat, and there is beauty in that.

I will not be happy to see the C-20 go, but I commited to an M boat long ago and will be putting everything into this one that I never did in any other: a radio, a good compass, and a better electrical panel, interior insulation (the C-20 has a complete headliner) and good quality hull liner material on the inside of the cabin, etc.

Structurally, it needs nothing. Only a couple minor cracks here and there. Hull is perfect and only needs a buffing out, which I have started and am pleased with.

This weekend I'll actually roll it out and set it up to see what might need tweaking. I know it needs jib$heet block$ that snap into the toe rails. $35 a pop. The traveler needs smaller screws because the ones that are there stick up too far to allow free movement of the car. All hardware has been re-bedded and the teak is all re-done as well. There aren't a bunch of holes that have been filled, either.

All in all, a solid find, I think. Should be fun.
Current: '75 Montgomery 17 #65
Current: '78 Chrysler 20
Past: '78 Chrysler 22
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18
Forever: '83 Grumman 17, gunter rigged with jib and trimaran outriggers.