LS-13 Battens

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronney

LS-13 Battens

Post by ronney »

I am restoring an old LS-13. I have good sails, but the 3 battens are missing. Does anyone know what the original thickness and width of these boards were? :P
Ronney Nanney
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Probably going to have to measure the pocket and then make some from thin wood..I bet those are a fun boat !
ronney

LS-13 Battens

Post by ronney »

Yes, that is what I was going to do, but didn't know if the originals were tapered. I thought about just epoxy coating pieces of a yard stick. I am just about finished with the restoration and I am excited to get her on the water!
Ronney Nanney
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I've used a thin piece of PVC-ish molding from either Lowes Or Home Depot before - on the Coronado C15. Guessing it was about 1/8" thick and 1/2" wide.

That's the spirit - get her on the water, and you'll have to much fun to care about the exact batten ! 8)
ronney

Post by ronney »

EmergencyExit wrote:I've used a thin piece of PVC-ish molding from either Lowes Or Home Depot before - on the Coronado C15. Guessing it was about 1/8" thick and 1/2" wide.

That's the spirit - get her on the water, and you'll have to much fun to care about the exact batten ! 8)

That's a great idea, thanks!
Ronney Nanney
kerryon

battens

Post by kerryon »

I have some originals that were made of wood. I'll measure and can take some pics.....I think they may even have a manufacturer printed on the (would be shocked if they were still in business!) I'll check this weekend and post the info...
Carpenter Dan

Replacement battens

Post by Carpenter Dan »

Hi ronney!
My Pirateer came without battens. I found a good replacement batten at sailrite.com (part # 103325-058-24). I'm guessing that the the LS and Pirateer used the same battens. They are 5/8" wide x 1/4" thick at the center and tapered toward both edges. Easy to cut to length. Not very expensive and quick delivery. I order new ones three years ago and a couple more last years after I shook two of them loose ( that's a story for another time). One word of caution: if the elastic in the batten pockets is deteriorated from age like mine, you should use sail repair tape to close the outer end of the pocket.
Have Fun!
Sails are just like wings. The wind can make them sing. Songs if life. Songs of hope. Songs to keep your dreams afloat. - Jimmy Buffett/Alan Jackson.
77 Pirateer
Las Vegas, NV
kerryon

Battens

Post by kerryon »

Ronney,

There are three battens. All 1 3/8" wide, 1/8 thick tapered to 3/32 at the leading edge. 19 7/8", 16 3/4" and 12" long. Small hole in the trailing end for a small cord or strap to pull the battens out of the pocket. Not sure of the wood species. Brand is " Battencraft"

Dave

[/img]
ronney

Re: Battens

Post by ronney »

[quote="kerryon"]Ronney,

There are three battens. All 1 3/8" wide, 1/8 thick tapered to 3/32 at the leading edge. 19 7/8", 16 3/4" and 12" long. Small hole in the trailing end for a small cord or strap to pull the battens out of the pocket. Not sure of the wood species. Brand is " Battencraft"

Dave

Thanks so much Dave! :)
Ronney Nanney
ronney

Re: Replacement battens

Post by ronney »

Carpenter Dan wrote:Hi ronney!
My Pirateer came without battens. I found a good replacement batten at sailrite.com (part # 103325-058-24). I'm guessing that the the LS and Pirateer used the same battens. They are 5/8" wide x 1/4" thick at the center and tapered toward both edges. Easy to cut to length. Not very expensive and quick delivery. I order new ones three years ago and a couple more last years after I shook two of them loose ( that's a story for another time). One word of caution: if the elastic in the batten pockets is deteriorated from age like mine, you should use sail repair tape to close the outer end of the pocket.
Have Fun!
Thanks for the help!
Ronney Nanney