Jack Stands

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jack Stands

Post by C22Bob »

Posting a few pix of my custom jack stands that cradle my C22. Materials used :

2"x3"x1/8" square steel tubing
2"x2"x1/8" square steel tubing
1/4" x 1.25" flat steel

Welded the square tubing together and used the flat steel for a strap to cradle the boat. Total material cost was around $125 at scrap yard, so around $30 per stand not too bad for re-usable stands. They give easy access to underside for keel maintenance, etc. In one pic, you can see once the stands were under her, I lowered the trailer with keel at same time. When keel cleared the trunk, it layed over with a big thud on the trailer. Hooked a cable to the trailer and pulled it keel and all.

close-up with dimensions

From bow with trailer and keel showing

Straps -- second pic shows the heavy foam for padding. The ugly holes were drilled with a stick welder, which isn't exactly known for perfect drilling.
The straps are 1/4" inch steel and not likely to bend, but I put a bolt there anyway.

ready for work

Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Nicely done, thank you for posting it.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

jack stands

Post by hp18carr »

Very nicely done... I hope you don't mind if I try to put your idea to work on my secondary project a 1973 22' Oday sailboat.

Terrence Carr
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
(Pandora for now)
Oday 22' 1973
(Old Yellow for now)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That is a pretty nifty set up!
I like it!

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I keep threatening to teach myself to weld. When I see this kind of thing, want to go out and get a welder and start fires in my shop.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

You definitely should...not the starting a fire, but learning to weld. Stick welding is fairly easy. When you think of all the money spent on drill bits and fasteners, it pays for itself fast, and gives you a ton more creativity. Good luck, and do keep the fire extinguisher handy
:wink:
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I talked to the shop mechanic at work (trucking company) and he offered to show me how to start fires. So, maybe I'll take him up on it. Perhaps you can tell me if one of those Lincoln welders I see around can be used on typical trailer material with good results. 110, not 220. The small one?

Thanks, John
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

John,

I don't have experience with the 120v Lincoln welder, and from what I see on their home page it looks more expensive than the 230V model. Mine is the AC225 model and I highly recommend it. The 230v will allow you to work easily with 1/8" electrodes and weld up to 1/2" steel plate. Also, the extra power will let you cut and drill holes in 3/8" plate.
The 120v welders only put out 90 amps at best and with that, you're stuck using 1/16" or 3/32" sticks. It should would work OK though on 1/8" or 3/16" steel like used on boat trailers. I see Northern Tool has a nice 120v welder at $179 and gets great reviews. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Bob
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

Go w/230V AC/DC welder. You will not be happy w/120V.

Add circuit breakers to your service entrance box just as you would for an electric clothes dryer or an electric kitchen range.

I ran wiring to carport and can weld out in the open or under carport if I need shade. :lol:

I think most welders use clothes dryer type plug.
C-26
Hunter 29.5
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

For my AC225 model I installed a 50amp breaker and used the 50A 250V NEMA 6-50R Receptacle . Very close to a clothes dryer type plug except the blades are parallel.

Image[/img]
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Alright, then. It sounds like I have some pre work to do if I decide to go ahead. Harry The Wrench (at work) said I could always just bring the trailer up to the shop, which is very close to me, but I kinda would like to have a setup in my own shop.

I'll brood upon it. Thanks, guys.

John
richardsrow

Post by richardsrow »

You have done this very nicely. Once I have replaced suspension and bushing of my car,I don't have picture to post here.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

richardsrow wrote:You have done this very nicely. Once I have replaced suspension and bushing of my car,I don't have picture to post here.But You can try this link .
Looks like we have a problem, Houston.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

richardsrow wrote:You have done this very nicely. Once I have replaced suspension and bushing of my car,I don't have picture to post here.
Richardsrow, the link you posted didn't go where you intended, went to a commercial site for car parts not related to this subject..edited out for that reason..feel free to try again..