water logged foam

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

water logged foam

Post by mcrandall »

I'm one of us owners to discover the truth about why so many of our 22's list to starboard. I've pulled the foam out of the lazzerette where the galley slides. Foam out of the area on the starboard side just forward of the chainplate bulkhead. I even cut open the area under the v-birth storage area. All of the foam was saturated with water to varying degrees. And VERY heavy!

So it's out. Source of leak, deck/hull seam, has been sealed.

I might put the foam back in.

New foam, that is. I would use a two-part system that you just pour into the cavity and let it rip. Trim off the excess, easy-peasy.

Why? I think boats of this vintage are required to have flotation. I don't know that for sure, so don't quote me. Either way, it seems like a good idea.

Another reason, and probably the most convincing for me, is noise. While in the process of removing the foam, I've noted the work getting louder. Drummy sounding. Big bass drum sounding. And I'm thinking small waves would be rather annoying.

What I'm looking at is an open cell foam, like what is currently in there. Researching to see if a closed cell foam kit is available. Though closed cell is significantly heavier and is considered structural, my real goal here is to dampen the sound. (Dampen...cleaver, eh?)

Toss some thoughts my way. I'll shoot some pics next time I head to the boat and post soon.

Cheers!
Mark
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Coreth

Post by Coreth »

Mark,
I have no advice. However, I am in the middle of a near complete overhaul of my C22. I'm nearly through with my "out of the water" projects. I recently removed my galley, in order to build a new one, and noticed the chrome caps were nearly rusted away. I pressed my thumb into the foam and noticed its water-logged state. I don't know if this encompasses the entirety of the foam, but from your post, I'm guessing it may be. Anyways, I am going to follow this thread, for knowledge, and maybe attack that project over the summer. This seems like a project that can be undertaken while in the water(?). Best of luck!
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22
Blog: SailingPugetSound.net
kerryon

Post by kerryon »

mcrandall - I just a little LS13 here on the Chrysler site, but my other sailboat had some foam issues... its a Halman Horizon cutter - the rudder is stern mounted and attaches to a skeg at the transom. Every time I checked when she was on the hard the skeg showed high moisture content. I eventually pulled the skeg off (it was just socketed onto hull form) and it too was soaked with waterlogged foam. Carved out the foam let it dry out for a long time and re poured the foam. I did used closed cell for structural reasons and to help aid in it getting water logged the next time if my seal at the socket ever fails....bought the goods here http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html - they sell foams at varied densities and strengths depending on what you need.

Good Luck

David
Smier

Post by Smier »

My Starwind 22, same hull design as the Chrysler 22 has no foam anywhere in the boat and it appears to have never had any foam installed from the factory. This got me a bit concerned, thinking maybe I am not in compliance with uscg regulations, so I started doing a little bit of research. My Compac 16 has some foam installed in the Bow, and a block of foam was sometimes installed to support the cockpit floor, but it is my understanding that it was installed by the factory to reduce the noise of waves hitting the hull and creating that drum effect the original poster mentioned. If I am reading the regulations correctly, sailboats are exempt from the flotation requirements?

"FEDERAL LAW

183.101 - Applicability

This subpart applies to monohull inboard boats, inboard/outdrive boats, and airboats less than 20 feet in length, except sailboats, canoes, kayaks, inflatable boats, submersibles, surface effect vessels, amphibious vessels, and raceboats."

Or

"Subpart G - Flotation Requirements for Outboard Boats Rated for Engines of More Than 2 Horsepower
FEDERAL LAW

183.201 - Applicability

(a) This subpart applies to monohull outboard boats that are:

(1) Less than 20 feet in length; and
(2) Rated for outboard engines of more than 2 horsepower.

(b) This subpart does not apply to sailboats, canoes, kayaks, inflatable boats, submersibles, surface effect vessels, amphibious vessels, and raceboats."

http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/ ... rt1_a.aspx
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Thanks for bringing this up. I just checked my C-22 and was pleasantly surprised to find everthing dry. But, she still lists to starb'd slighly at her moorings. I have no explanation for that because I never have any extraneous accessories or items in it. The battery is under the aft dinette seat and up against the keel trunk, so that can't but right her. Mystery. The only thing I can conclude it that the galley molding weighs more than the dinette molding, since the latter has the large cut-outs.

No worries.