Electric Bilge Pump Placement

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Coreth

Electric Bilge Pump Placement

Post by Coreth »

Greetings Gents,...
While I've got Coreth on the dry for repairs(not for much longer though), I am adding an electric bilge pump. I'm curious where the lowpoint will be when she's back in the water. Should I wait to find out & then attack the project, or does anyone have a suggestion?
Also, the drain holes on the transom. I'm wondering if I were to secure some flex tubing from the cockpit openings to the transom openings, would that potentially cause me any problems?? My desire is to keep that stern "locker" area dry. I've seen pictures of many a C22 where those drain holes are not even present. Wouldn't it be not wise to glass over my only drain holes?? Not sure how that area was originally. Thanks and I've updated todays work on my blog ;)
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22
Blog: SailingPugetSound.net
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Personally, for the ease of cleaning the cock-pit and the stern locker is a lot easer to keep that a locker wet. It easy to hose everything down and have it drain out.
Also since I keep my fuel tank in the stern locker I feel the drains give that area the extra ventilation to keep gas fumes from building up.
Be aware that a lot of water drains through/around the stern locker cover, that would need a lot of redesign to keep water out if you want a dry stern locker
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Coreth,
the low spot in all of my C22's have been at or just aft of the keel pin area.

For a bilge pump I installed a water puppy behind my keel crank and added a long hose. I use it similar to a shop vac to suck water from areas water does not belong.

Also, DO NOT close off the stern drain holes. This is the vent for the fuel tank! Gas vapor is heavier than air and MUST have a place to exit the boat!!

That stern locker is the only safe place for your fuel inside the hull and you should keep it that way!!!!! Never store extra fuel in the lazerettes!! They are not sealed and vented properly!

Just sayin'

Scott
Coreth

Post by Coreth »

Thank you, Guys! Exactly what I was looking for. I will leave the holes open. I found some neat and cheap vent covers for them. I'll just clean that locker out good with simple green and then bilgekote the entire area. I'll 5200 the vent covers in.
As for the bilge pump, that's the area I was thinking made most sense. Out of the way and easily accessible.
When it comes to that stern locker, is it not an issue having the fuel tank in there when water is going through it? Obviously its ok, being that its the way that it is.

Thanks again!
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I have had no issues with water in the stern locker, but I do operate in fresh water. May need extra care in salt water. Just make sure any connections in the stern locker are water tight.
You will have more water in that locker when your motoring, as the C22 has a tendency to squat in the stern under power.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

As others have already said, those holes are critical to safe operation. And yes, you will get water in the lazarette while motoring. I have sailed in both salt and fresh water with no issues. My fuel tanks (plastic) tend to float around a bit while motoring, so be sure to close the vents on the unused tanks. I keep my spare gallon of gas in a safety can in the lazarette.

I would reconsider using the 5200 to install the vents. You may want to remove them someday. Use 4200 or polysulfide sealant.

Since the C22 has no bilge per se, the idea of a remote bilge pump makes more sense than tripping over one in the low point of the cabin sole. Unless your windows leak (like most that have not been resealed, including mine) or you round it up (like me!) you should never have any water in there. Or at least, not enough to need more than a sponge to clean it up.

I put my bilge pump in an HDPE bracket under the keel crank. It has extra wire and hose, so if I need to, I can remove it from the bracket and set it in the low spot. As it is, once water is three or four inches deep, the pump will start in its current position.

Also be sure that you use a proper size fuse on the pump, use an automatic pump or float switch and wire it so that it will be hot all the time. My bilge pump circuit feeds directly from the battery bypassing the battery switch. That way it will work when all other systems are shut off. This is important if the boat is on a mooring or in a slip and you can't check on it each day. The correct wire gauge is also critical for a pump. An undersized wire can cause a voltage drop on an operating pump and cause it to overheat and catch fire. West Marine has some good tips on installing a bilge pump.

Don't mean to sound like I'm trying to tell you what to do, these are just some suggestions.

I've had my C22 for several years now, and still I don't see many boats that I would rather have in this size.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
Coreth

Post by Coreth »

Greg... GREAT information. I haven't done anything yet to the vents, so I will take your advice on the 4200. Also, thanks for the perspective and tips for the bilge pump.
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22