Masthead maintenance - recommended fixes/addons?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
briceburg

Masthead maintenance - recommended fixes/addons?

Post by briceburg »

Ahoy!

My jibsheet sheave jammed and I think it is time to drop the mast on my C26 for some much needed maintenance. While it is down I am thinking of:

1. Replacing Halyards - They are worn now and I plan to replace with XLE from Cajun Ropes. Does anyone have a suggested diameter and length? I do not plan to run them aft.

Also, in addition to the jib + main, there is a 3rd halyard that runs to the aft end of my boom. I use it to lift the boom out of my way when not at sail, and to shape the main sometimes. Not sure if this is orginal?

2. Replace sheeves/blocks at masthead - is there a recommended brand? What's the best size for the rigging?

3. Replace masthead lightbub. Replace the deck light (@ fore of mast, just above spreader) -- current one is broken and exposed bulb socket...

4. Add VHF wire/antenna.

Are there other recommended must-have instruments? Like a windfinder or autopilot?

Many thanks for your tips and suggestions! This truly is a learning project and I can't wait to be ship shape.

~ Brice
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Manual lists the halyards as being 28'10". That assumes you have the half wire/half line halyards, of course. 5/16" size. But since the half of halyard that goes thru sheaves is wire, you can upsize that..I always bought 35' I think.

Line from boom to masthead is probably the topping lift, handy to keep boom up when dropping mainsail, can be whatever size/type works for you.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Brice!
Sounds like you have a pretty good hand on what needs replacing!
You mentioned the halyards and EE showed size. I would recommend replacing the light fixture that was exposed. No reason to fight the corosion. Also if budget allows I'd convert to LED. Saves a lot on power.
A VHF antenna is great! remember you likely have two lights on the mast and they must have separate switches and power leads. The mast head is an anchor light and NOT used underway. The forward facing light near the top is a steaming light and is used when motoring after sunset along with the other running lights.

One thing you did not mention is a fordeck light. Lots of guys have added spreader lights to their boats to light up the fordeck after dark. That is a great idea! I will be adding them to Lady Jo this fall!

Also a windvane is very nice to have. All my boats get them!

Scott
briceburg

Post by briceburg »

Great, thanks for all the tips! There's a goldmine in that post.
CaptainScott wrote:The forward facing light near the top is a steaming light
Right now she has a single light at the top. Will wire to your spec. That steaming light is sure going to come in handy while I blindly dodge the giant root balls and logs floating around Old Hickory lake :)

Hopefully soon she'll be at Kentucky Lake.

~ Brice
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

I have my masthead on the workbench down in Lincolnton. Let me know if you need me to measure the sheaves etc.
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Near the bottom of this thread I post pictures of the some of my masthead work.

http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... php?t=3855