What to look for when buying a C26?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CraigWik

What to look for when buying a C26?

Post by CraigWik »

I'm looking at a C26 Sunday that I'm thinking about buying. Does anyone have any specific suggestions on what to look for or look out for? It's a 1977 model. Sorry if this question has already been posted before. I don't see a way to search for text in old postings.
Thanks,
Craig
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard!
One of the C26 owners will for sure chime in here for you!

In the mean time, if you are reading this, look up to the top center of this page. You'll find the search function there!

Again, welcome and keep us posted on your possible purchase!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard ! Hey where's the boat located ?

They have a few recurring issues, but none other than maybe hull blisters are majorly expensive repairs. Mostly they are areas that were originally underbuilt and need correction or beefing up after all these years. You can click on the link to EE's site below my post and see most of these items or locations..

Expect a soft spot at the bottom of the companionway steps, not a big fix at all. Thats plywood over the small bilge area and tends to get wet if the bilge was left full a lot

The 77's didn't have the anchor locker up front so the usual water damage to the bulkhead up there doesn't apply (its a 79 model thing for sure)

Original motor mount may have cracks in the corners from stress and if they are good size expect water to have seeped in and damaged the wood inside the mount walls.

Check the mast step area on the cabin deck for spider cracks. Big ones would indicate the the mast support that runs from under that to the keel is not solid, that's an under built support anyway.

Look for hull blisters if out of the water. Also if out of water look at the rudder cheek plates, they tend to have stress cracks at the leading edge.

In the stern berth area, run your hand up in the area where the hull joins the deck and feel for wet areas there, that would indicate hull to deck joint leaking. Do the same in the vberth.

Its hard to see or tell with the table in the way, but sometimes the wood where the winch stand base attaches to the keel trunk gets punky. Goes along the with area at bottom of steps having been wet.

Overall these are a great solid boat, just very old. Sometimes you find them perfectly well maintained, sometimes not.. ok after two I haven't found one that way yet..but don't let a bit of work scare you from a good deal..
CraigWik

Post by CraigWik »

Thanks for the advice. I bought the C26 this afternoon, and it's sitting in my driveway in Bloomington, MN, now. Wish I had a couple more days left in the weekend to get it into the water. Seems to be in very nice shape given the age. The previous owners took good care of it. I've been up on Lake Superior on a friend's C22 several times (Apostle Islands, Isle Royale), and we're looking forward to taking the C26 up there in September. So I've got a couple months to learn how to rig and sail this one on smaller waters closer to home.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Very cool ! And welcome again !
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Congrats!
Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Welcome Aboard CraigWik
Great to have another upper midwest Chrysler on board!
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard mate hope you enjoy your C 26 as much as I do mine!!!
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
adamh

Post by adamh »

Congrats on the new boat. I saw that one one on craigslist and if I didn't already own one, I would have been all over it. Looks like you have a real nice and well equippd boat. We are planning an August trip up to the Apostles with our C-26 as well. Good luck and have fun.
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"