how to use the toilet on the boat ??

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
aerojet777

how to use the toilet on the boat ??

Post by aerojet777 »

this is a dumb question but i havent used the toilet on the boat because i dont know how to pump it out or what to do once its full. how do you guys handle the waist once its full ?
adamh

Post by adamh »

This is not a dumb question its a great question. I'm in the same boat (well not actually) because there are no pump outs on the lake I plan on sailing most of the time. I have researched other forums and found that others have used dedicated shop vacs or macerator pumps. Since I have not tried either yet, I am also curious as to what methods have been tried and proven successful.
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Ok, I'll bite . . . . .
Don't you just sit and push . . . . .
LOL! I know, crappy answer . . . . . .

OK, sorry,
Do you have a port-a-potty? Or do you have a fixed head?
aerojet777, here in Washington, the marinas all are required to provide a pump out station. I can not speak for lakes but the salt water marinas offer it!

For example, The Port of Everett, where Destiny is moored offers pump outs. You take your boat to the station, open the pump out hole in your deck, make sure your vents are clear, and use the station like a giant vacuum. Use GREAT CARE to insure the good seal and firm pressure from you as you hold the vaccuum hose ( pump out hose ) . If you do not have a good seal, you WILL get sprayed. Ask me how I know.

How to tell it is full, keep using it until NASTY comes out of the vents. She's now full. NEver use it that much again without pumping! LOL! Yeah, sounds silly but most folks use that method. Don't forget to clean your vent after stuff comes out and down the side of your boat. EEEk is an understatement.

Don't forget to fill the system with fresh water and suck it back out 3 or so times to insure you get all the "stuff" out! Most pump hoses have a clear section you can watch to insure relatively clear water comes out when done.

If you have a port-a-potty, it is removeable. Just take it out, carry the nasty thing to a dump station again at most marinas, and empty it. Maybe even a rest stop on the way home where motor homes empty is an option.

aerojet777, if you are ever in Everett with your C26, let me know. I'd happily take you to the pump outs and show you how to use them. If that does not work, maybe a short trip in Destiny to show you is in order!

Enjoy the realities of boating!

Scott

PS: I agree, great question. I've been paid good money to show folks just that. How to pump a head in a boat!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Was never an issue (HA! Scott I'll see your bad pun and raise you one) on EE..no holding tanks were ever installed, pump water in, turn handle, pump waste out..seriously, that's the setup. Needless to say the head has never been used..but we never were more than daysailing anyway so it wasn't needed..its on the next list to add a tank

Aislin Girl has a porta, and I'm about at the point of clearing it..
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Since we're on the topic of heads, I have a few questions.

Did the C-22's ever come with a marine head? If so, where exactly were they placed? Anyone have photos? What about the holding tank and the pump out?
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

on my c-22 we use a camping style cassette toilet. Stores up front under bunk on port side. These are nice because the holding tank comes off and is self contained. I believe we got this at walmart for less than 100 bucks.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
aerojet777

toilet

Post by aerojet777 »

Thanks Guys for all your info.

captain scott - thanks for your offer i will let you know when i get to the everett area. i could trailer the boat up there and show you and anyone else that wants to take a look. right now im looking for a slip in lake washington

chris