boat heater

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
aerojet777

boat heater

Post by aerojet777 »

does anybody have comments on what kind of heater to use in a c26 ?

or have you installed one that works good. im thinking either propane, diesel or possibly electric but seems like electric will kill the battery fast.

its for the NW area. something compact would be nice

chris
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Welcome aboard, I use an electric heater because I have sure our power. If I want to use a different type of heater, I would go with kerosene. Just make sure it is well vented.
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

I use electric in the slip, and propane under anchor. Also...a good blanket goes along way.
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hello,
The heat you get will be directly related to how much you want to spend! LOL! Also think about how much heat you need and what fuel source do you have in your cruising grounds.

If you are thinking quick, simple, cheap and effective, you might consider one of these "Mr Heater"'s. Super simple, propane is readily available in the Pacific Northwest, and you can use either a 1lb tank or get a 20lb tank! We have one and use it to take the chill off once in a while. However this seemingly simple heater has its drawbacks. it sucks the oxygen out of the air. A carbon monoxide sensor and excellent ventelation are a requirement! You've heard the stories of folks going to sleep only to never wake up . . . . Don't want to make the news THAT way! Also, propane is denser than air and can fill your boat. again, extreme care is required.

Another more expensive idea is a solid fuel burner. We had friends that had one and burned briquettes. However it could burn drift wood found on the beach if necessary! Their only complaint was if not started properly the thing would not exhaust up the chiminy but instead fill the boat with smoke! Hard to get that smell out after that. Otherwise we'd been aboard on nights below freezing and I was to hot in a Tshirt and jeans.

Destiny has a diesel furnace with forced air. She has a diesel burner that boils water which inturn feeds a heat exchanger which inturn heats air which is then blown from multiple ports strategically located about the boat. Very nice. Very expensive. Very effective. However prone to issues. Repairs are very costly if you do the work yourself and even more to have the work done!

So, back to your question, what heater is best . . . . . . up to you. Budget, how often used, and fuel source should be items you consider.

Hope this helps!

Scott

OH yeah, if you are not on shore power, electric heat is not an option. You can not carry enough batteries! LOL! We use electric on shore power like others have mentioned.
aerojet777

boat heater

Post by aerojet777 »

thanks guys that will give me an idea so i can check into this, at least i wont need a heater for a few months but i should plan on making room for one once summer is over

i will poke around on craigslist

chris
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

And it doesn't take much on the C26 to keep it warm..very small room you're heating !
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

We use a coleman propane heater that uses the 1 lb tanks which will last us 3 days.

soon will be upgrading to one that shuts off if tipped.
http://www.rv-mall.com/index.php/portab ... OgodQDMAfA

Should be perfect for the boat
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Like EE said, it doesn't take much on the C26 to keep it warm..very small room you're heating !
I chartered a Islander 36 once that had a solid fuel burner and I was amazed how warm it got with just 4 briquettes.
A C&C 33 we used had a WEBASTO Cabin Heater Kit that worked well but used power to run the fan.
I was thinking of adding a couple mounting screws for the little buddy heater I have in the C22 but it may be over kill, the burners on the stove may supply enough heat for that space.

We have used a little Ceramic Cabin Heater at the dock on all of the above and that has done a fine job keeping us warm even when is was snowing outside.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I have had the occasion where I needed heat so I did some cooking and baked bread 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Wow, I looked into this nifty stainless steal beauty that burned wood, coal you name it. Kind of a little fireplace. You need to run a flu out the upper deck. Insulate all areas it was next to, etc due to the heat. The basic unit was about $300 with all the hardware.

Then Bill sent me a photo of a Mr. Heater with attached propane bottle. I had a winner at under $100. Also no extra holes in my boat for a heater I might use 2 or 3 times a year, then put away in the old Rubbermaid storage bin under the cabin door.

Now I would really like that Stainless wonder but it is way outside of the K.I.S.S. principle I tell myself I sail under. :lol:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

:?: Can you post a link to the SS unit :?:

Thanks
C-26
Hunter 29.5
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Lately tho, I'm more in the how am I gonna cool off inside this hot boat frame of mind !
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

EmergencyExit wrote:Lately tho, I'm more in the how am I gonna cool off inside this hot boat frame of mind !
Must be nice! We do not have that problem here in the PNW! 8)

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

CaptainScott wrote:
EmergencyExit wrote:Lately tho, I'm more in the how am I gonna cool off inside this hot boat frame of mind !
Must be nice! We do not have that problem here in the PNW! 8)

Scott
Hasn't hit yet tho, we've had a mild spring. Redhead and I sat at a baseball game Tuesday afternoon and it was only around 70. Usually would be 85.

Down side is the Myer's Dark and small bottled Cokes traditionally don't "come aboard" until the first 90 degree day. And I'm waiting..
aerojet777

propane buddy propane heater

Post by aerojet777 »

thanks guys, it looks like the propane buddy has its own safety feature for low oxygen ...does this mean it would be safe in the boat cabin ?

i know there is supposed to be a low oxygen sensor on the boat, plus the propane could be a fire hazard since it goes in the bilge right ???
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I stayed on the boat last weekend and it got to 38 degrees I was in a good sleeping bag and was warm in the morning made oatmeal and coffee and it warmed right up as long as I didn't open the compaionway.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

lecker... did you just use the oem kenyon alchol stove??? or do you have a aftermarket propane stove rigged...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I have both but the propane is 2X as fast so when you are cold that does mean something.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

Indeed! I have a little buddy heater and that thing really gets her vooking in a hurry
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante