Sailboat synthesis

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
airshac

Sailboat synthesis

Post by airshac »

Im looking to get a Chrysler 22 that is just a hull and a mast. No rigging, lines, sails etc. Also, for less than what it would cost me to buy what I need for the 22 I can buy a buccaneer 245 that has a terrible hull but good mast sails rigging lines hardware, everything the 22 needs. So im thinking about combining the two boats. Taking the mast and pressumably base plate from the 25 and putting it on the 22. Outside of the work it would take do you think this would work. I'm trained in composite lay ups so I'm not worried about that part of it it is mostly the physics behind a bigger mast/sails etc. let me know what you think!!
airshac

Post by airshac »

The finished boat is just meant for me to be able o take the kids out on the lake, family day sailing. No racing or transatlantic crossings. :)
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
airshac

Post by airshac »

The hull of the 22 is in really good shape so that's the one ill be using if I go ahead with this.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Unless it's just something you truly want to do I would pass and like Bob said shop for something not needing so much work. You will get the kids out on the water faster and in the long run may even save a few dollars. If only I had understood this concept myself back in the day. :oops:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Oday 22' 1973
Old Yellow (for now)
airshac

Post by airshac »

Thank for the input guys. I have been lurking on Craigslist waiting for just the right boat to pop up and I think it has! A 22' macgregor with a trailer and outboard motor only needing a cleaning, "tlc" and sails. So think I wll go the less project more fun way. :)
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Good choice! The Mac is a great lake boat and has a huge following. Easy to sail and fast.

Check out macgregorowners.com
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

The Mac 22 is a good choice. I have 2. They're easy to set up and a lot of parts are available from Bluewater Yachts. There is also a very active forum at askamcgregerowner.com . They also cleanup nicely. The only funkey thing inside is that sculpted carpet on the cabin overhead. We sailed with that for several years then replaced it.

If you have any other questions, PM me.
Clair
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

The Mac 22 is a good boat.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

A family boat, day sailor. Yuo that would be your C22. Do not mix your two boats together I don't think that would make you very happy.

Buy The C22 Cheap and build it back up the way you want it.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
airshac

Post by airshac »

Between 22'&30' what boats would you recommend staying away from for the day sailor? I'm sure every one has their own opinion on this. A 22' boat is pretty small for my large family so I'm hoping to up grade after a season or two to something bigger.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Good question.

I consider my C22 good for say 5 to 7 day long trip for 2 maybe 3 adults on board. Stopping from time to time to dump the head, get a shower. You know sailing from sight to sight, dropping anchor at night. Getting a shower at a marina and emptying the head some what regularly.

Now lets say 2 adults 2 kidlets plus, "Go directly to the 30 footer, do not pass go, do not collect $200." (Monopoly reference) :lol: Yea, you will want a real head, Enclosed and not the fabulous sani-can-porta-potty-deluxe of the blue water fame I have on my C22. No that 5 to 7 day trip would never be repeated by the family. :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing