Worried about keel pins - cost?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
timlabute

Worried about keel pins - cost?

Post by timlabute »

Hey all. I started the work on the boat and scraped the sealife away to inspect the keel pins.

I am not sure if I would consider them "bad" but I am certain I would not call them good.

My hang up on replacing them is, my boat is in a boat yard on a cradle. I have no trailer to bring it home and make changing them possible.

After looking closely at the situation, I do not feel capable of arranging the boat in such a way that I could drop the keel.

So instead, does anyone have a rough idea of what to expect if I ask the boat yard guys to the the job. Are we talking $2000?

Thanks all
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

I work in a boatyard, Tim. Just ask for a quote.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I did mine a year ago. I have drawings posted that should be enough to have brackets made. Figure $100 for steel, prob $300+ for stainless. In a yard with a forklift 6 to 8 hours labor at whatever their hourly rate is. Replace the keel cable while you are there. I also removed the stuck snuber and glassed over it from inside the keel pocket.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I've only helped once, so I was more like an assistant at best.

I would expect to pay $300 to $500 US to have the parts made in stainless. Yes metal would work but it just means you get to do the job again much sooner.

The Keel does not need to come out all the way. Drop the end down say a foot. Cut the existing pin out with a Saws-all. One quick cut on ether side of the keel.

On the inside remove the old keel pin brackets, careful not to damage the mounting screw holes in the fiberglass.

This will give you access to see what's left of the keel pin in the keel. It will also give you room to get in there and knock out the little chunk of the keel pin left in the keel with a punch if need be.

Slide the keel back so you can clean everything real good, and reassemble, seal with lots of squeeze out around the parts. Tighten it all up. Let the seal cure.

Go home and rest. Then go sail after the seal is dry. :D

Oh I would build a small cradle around the keel out of 2x4's and screws. Put a floor jack under that and you can move the keel around fairly easy with the help of a friend or two. I personally would not pull it all the way down and out. Getting it back in would be more excitement than I think I would like to try if it were to lay down on it's side.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

What Alan said . . . . . .!!!!

Hey Alan, I have your hat still!

Scott
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Thanks guys :)