C22 Leaks in general

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DVD

C22 Leaks in general

Post by DVD »

Hi all,

Haven't launched yet but previous owner appears to like caulk in the port swing keel pin area. Anyone want to share their experience of leaks in general on the C22? I'm hoping for no major surprises as the boat leaves the trailor for the first time!

Thanks, dvd :lol:
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Look in " Chrysler Sailors Forum Index "
John K

Post by John K »

I think even the factory installation had a ton of sealant squeezing out in that area. If your keel pin brackets don't look overy deteriorated when looking at them from down below, you're probably ok. All of my leaks were from above at the window frames and lifeline stanchions.
1977 C22: Dog House
DVD

Thanks

Post by DVD »

I hadn't looked that close, but I guess it may be Factory sealant, awesome information!! thanks DVD
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

As a member of this forum once told me years ago. "The Leaks, came factory installed on our Chrysler's." :shock: (Windows, etc.)

Seriously though, you need to float it to know if it has any issues. As stated above there will be seal squeeze out everywhere. Could be that in the past the keel pin and brackets were replaced on your boat. I too would put in a boat load of seal for maximum squeeze out. Frankly I find a lot of do-it-yourelfers are not real good at faring out seal. (Paintbrush and prople-alcohol work real nice for faring out seal.)

When you launch keep the trailer ready to recover the boat should there be a leak and you need to re-load the boat quickly.

Give it a try, I bet you will like it, Sail on my friend, sail on. 8)

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

My first launch I backed down the ramp until the boat was floating but did not unhook from the trailer. Then climbed aboard and looked for leaks below. Once I was sure there where no leaks I unhooked and pulled out the trailer. This is best done when the boat ramps are not busy.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"