Boat Naming

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
double "D"

Boat Naming

Post by double "D" »

White Water to Waves
1974 22' Sandpiper Frayed Knot
1995 20'Bayliner
14' River Raft
14' Canoe
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Name the boat whatever you want. I would suggest something that will not embarrass you or your family. Just make sure you place a gold coin under the mast when you step her. Or at least duct tape your gold amex card under there lol.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

When rededicating my boat using the same name for the new crew, I just reworded the renaming cerimony to fit, making sure to appese all the Gods: http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

Hope this helps!
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I find the naming or should I say re-naming to be fun.

1. I agree with Beady and would also toss in that you should pick a Positive name and not a negative name. Something like Hurricane, negative. Something like Sunshine, positive. You get the drift. I'm thinking if you call it Cantankerous and it will be cantankerous.

2. Now I think Padiunka has found a fine christening example which I would follow and use. I would also add my own, one further step to erase the name. Once the old name is all gone. The first time you sail the boat. Put the boat in "Irons" (Stop the boat by sailing head on into the wind) Let the boat be pushed backward by the wind... Thus backing over the old name abandoning it forever. Then break off in a new direction with the new name pre installed on the back of the boat before launch.

3. A libation must be served up as stated in the text. I do not drink so when I named my boat I used Bottled water. I sail in the Ocean so I figured what is the best beverage to have on the Ocean... Fresh water. :wink: Then, I could take part in the toast.

Now of course this is all super station. But it's a boat, so knock on wood, scratch a back stay and spin around 3 times just to be on the safe side. :lol:

Thanks
Alan
Last edited by Alanhod on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Alanhod wrote: Something like Hurricane, negative. Something like Sunshine, positive.
Lol, yes, do not name the boat "StormSlayer" or something like that, you're just asking for it..

EE was immediately rechristened because she had been left and ignored so long we decided she deserved a fresh start. Couple years later while compounding the hull I found where the outline of yet another old name was scratched into the hull by a painter.

She was the only boat still there at her pier and afloat after Katrina, so I think it all was okay to rename away..
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

You must consider, as Alan indicated, the name itself.
Picture yourself in a situation of need. You swallow your pride, go below, turn the VHF on fumble the dials to find that channel, what channel was that again . . . .

Finaly radio on, crew in a panic, and you are repeating several times over the air your boat name : "Hoosier Daddy" or "Between the Sheets" or "Double Penetration" ( for you catamaran owners ).

Worse yet, maybe a name that flat can not be understood over the air by the average sailor in your area!

I'm just saying, think about the name before you go and get all cute on us remember you will need to use that name over the air at some point in the boats life. Clear, concise, and simple much easier to understand when you are hailing or being hailed.

OK, maybe not so serious. Think of what that name will look like on your shirt or hat! LOL! . . . .or on your wife's shirt . . . . . . . I'm thinking my bride would not wear a shirt with "Wet Dream" on it! :shock:

Have fun looking for a name!
Scott

PS: I love reading other peoples boat names. The 38' power boat right next to Destiny has a name. The very nice older couple LOVE their boat and spend months at a time on it.Name? in BIG dark blue letters. "Miz Giz". I'm not sure what he means by that but my bride about choked when he first showed up in that slip!!!
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

CaptainScott wrote:OK, maybe not so serious. Think of what that name will look like on your shirt or hat! LOL! . . . .or on your wife's shirt . . . . . . . I'm thinking my bride would not wear a shirt with "Wet Dream" on it! :shock:
Actually my 2nd sailboat, a 12 foot Starcraft came with the name "Wet Dream". Since it was a day sailer, and a rather wet one at that, it was perfect.

Years ago when we chartered in the Abacos we had a Morgan 42 named "Nevermind". Never had a issue with our radio call not getting a reply :wink:

...Nevermind...Nevermind...Nevermind...
Last edited by Capt. Bondo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
parared

Post by parared »

My c22 came named 'Sea Weed' and made me immediately think 'drug smuggler'. So that had to go.

Had a big renaming discussion with my wife and two kids, including list-o-names for each other to veto. Wanted something unique, but sunny/happy.

Ended up with Dia Dulce, which is sweet day in spanish.

I had read about a renaming ceremony, where you sailed backwards to erase the old name and set to new. Since this is my first sailboat, that part came pretty easy :).
double "D"

Post by double "D" »

White Water to Waves
1974 22' Sandpiper Frayed Knot
1995 20'Bayliner
14' River Raft
14' Canoe
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Frayed Knot ! Good one ! 8)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I like that also!
Nice! Even a little knotty!

; )

Scott
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

Thats a great name!
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

yeah...Frayed Knot is good....I know a guy who has Stress Knot...which he desperately needs.
Bill