splicing wire rope

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
amayotte

splicing wire rope

Post by amayotte »

I was wondering if anyone here knows how to splice wire rope. I'm am particularily interested in the liverpool and lock-tuck splices.

I can get through the first few steps without any issuses, having all six strands and the heart tucked. After that I get lost. From all the help on the internet and from reading all my books, nobody really explains how to do the next 5 tucks.
Do you wrap around strands continuously all the way up - around 5 times, or do you simply wrap around the core 5 times with all six strands?

Does anyone know of a good video or a good book that explains the steps so a neophyte like myself can understand?

Thank you,
Adam
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Well I kept searching and I guess I answered my own question...more or less.
For those of you who are interested in splicing wire rope here is an excellent page with pictures.

Click on the Flickr link.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... -pictorial

Adam
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Good post, thank you
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

The first issue I had with Holiday was the crimp on the keel pennant. The figure 8 crimp was hitting the plastic through hull and pulled it out the first time I raised the keel. I contacted Jamie White in the video and he made a spliced keel pennant without the crimp for me. If I remember correctly he charged $25 plus material and shipping. The only thing I would do different is ask for wire siezing on the overall siezing rather than the textile siezing he used. Very nice fellow and easy to work with.

Holiday still sits in a shed while other boat projects and life in general take priority, so I haven't tried the new keel cable yet.
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Holiday,

Glad to hear that the splice worked well for you though. I find anything spliced to be a very elegant option. Something about old fashioned skills still serving a purpose...satisfying.

Thanks,
Adam