Lowering Mast Assistance for 1977 C22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Coreth

Lowering Mast Assistance for 1977 C22

Post by Coreth »

Anybody know of any instructional vids or documentation for lowering the mast to my c22?? I need to check lightbulbs & possibly re-run wiring.

Thank You

Corey
FranS

Post by FranS »

Check out CaptainScott's profile he has video on mast raising and lowering with very detailed instructions.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Make or borrow a set of briddles, and use 4 ratchet straps to hold the mast and boom straight as you lower it. The boom fits on a pin in the front of the mast and it lowers to the rear. I use the ropes and pulleys from the rear of the boom, one person can do it, a second helps to guide it onto the rear holder.

Where you located?
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Be extremely careful. The aluminum hook going into the slot on the bottom of the mast will snap right off if the mast is allowed to sway to one side. Keep it centered with the centerline of the boat as it comes down. having the boat pointed into the wind when you do it is a plus.
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I use ratchet straps like N41 but added a 24" line through the bridles with a small boline on each end. This allows some slip through the eye of the bridle and keeps the straps tensioned correctly.

The task is not as daunting as it seems. I use a four fall set of pulleys with 50' of 3/16 line. With the blocks together connect them to the headstay and gin pole, then three wraps around the winch and jam it. The capsan is used for friction, or to bring things back up a bit if a line doesn't look right. The bridles do all the work for you and make it pretty easy.

Best to you!
Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Coreth

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Post by Coreth »

Today's the day, so I appreciate all of the advice & direction. BTW,... I'm located in Olympia, WA(at the bottom of the Puget Sound:)
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Wow hope you not at the bottom of the sound, Keep her floating eh! lol
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey corey,

Id be glad to help you but Im not available for a couple of weeks.
I have bridles and a custom gin pole you are welcome to check out too.
Scott
Coreth

AWESOME!

Post by Coreth »

Scott,
I'd love the chance at some help from someone that knows the type of boat specifically! You let me know when you have the time. My days off of work, typically are Mon - Wed. I have my running lights working... my radio working... & if I need to anchor at night, I have a lantern that I can raise on my main halyard. Had her out in some pretty gusty winds yesterday & it felt GREAT. I'm really getting a feel;) Cheers!
Corey