Is this a pipe dream???

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is this a pipe dream???

Post by hp18carr »

When my C26 finally gets wet... it will happen one day, I'm thinking about some sailing preliminaries in a small lake close to home. The only problem being the lake in question is only five miles across and seven miles around with a depth of only 8' to 12.' Will trying to sail a 26' sailboat in such a lake be a futile effort? I don't know if I could trust the keel more than half way down. Could this be possible... or just a pipe dream. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

If it floats off the trailer sail it! We go often with the keel up on light days so
I don't think 8 to12 ft should stop you.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Not that I would ever worry, but it would be easier to recover a sunken boat in 12 feet of water than in 200. So, at 6 knots, you could only go 30 to 45 minutes in a straight line without turning. Sounds like a great place to shake down to me.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks for the vote that it's not a waste of time and effort... the first mate does not trust me in deeper water, being that this is my first sailboat and all. :oops:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Understand the first mate thing. First time SWMBO went I specifically chose a course with wind 45 off the Stbd bow so we went "into" the wind for a couple of hours, then a 180 to home with a moderate tail wind. No tacking, no work, no sail trimming, just riding along. She loved it.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Yes go for a sail, soon I hope. A small lake, or even a big pond. Just do it?
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Terrence, I do 99.9% of my sailing at Stony Creek Metropark here in MI. 498 acres (smaller when you avoid the Milfoil beds), and have a great time. You may love pond sailing too! Total low stress sailing. You can leave the GPS at home and the launch is always in close reach for the return trip :lol:. Oh, and the keel, I hardly ever go all down. That's usually optional equipment here at Stony anyways for the C20, the shoal keel alone works just fine unless there's a fairly steady breeze.... and it doesn't catch any weeds. You'll probably have to turn around before you slide too far off course.

Bring a picnic basket and enjoy the pretty little dinghy's sailing round you like I do! Big difference is that you're high and dry, comfortably sipping on your favorite beverage....they're probably not.
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

I and the first mate have checked out Waccamaw lake, they even have a friendly little sailing club with access to a few mooring sights. To date the largest sailboats on the lake are a few 22 footers. To bring my 26 footer to town would give the locals something to talk about and I can pretend to be the big cheese for a while. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I agree with the others!
GO!

I took Lady Jo to a lake in Eastern Washington where I sailed a Chrysler Dagger. Lady Jo ( 22'er) was a very large boat for that lake relative to all the others there she created a stir just dragging her through town!

As mentioned if you can get her off the trailer, GO SAIL! your crew will feel very good riding aboard such a huge boat compared to the other boats!

If there is no wind, take a picnic! Just watch for Yogi and Boo Boo!

Enjoy!
Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

I agree too!

That is plenty of water to sail and get to know everything about your boat! Close to home so you have plenty of time to raise an lower the mast without feeling rushed, and still have hours on the lake.

Our lake may be larger, but we spend most our time day sailing, not more than 5 or 6 miles from the slip. Bring your favorite boat food and plenty of water or drinks to stay hydrated. Spend a weekend on the water.
Get comfortable reefing and sailing all sorts of weather and winds.

After a season you'll feel ready and enjoy anything after that, and your mate will be more at ease also!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EE has spent a lot of time sailing on a narrow lake that is less than a mile wide and about 9 miles long...with her slip about halfway up the lake..and wind that always comes straight down the lake too.. :cry:

Go have fun !
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

DITTO! The first time Windwalker got wet I found a couple of leaks (broken through-hull fitting for the swing keel cable) that were NOT apperent on the hard. Go someplace close, float her, check her AND THEN HAVE FUN!
Dave

1976 Mutineer
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

My boat is docked on a small lake and I have a great time. It is great to get out for an hour or two granted it is not the Ocean but spending time on the water beats sitting in the driveway any day of the week.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

It's all about time on the water :D
Small water will allow you more tacking practice.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I agree also Terrence just do it you will love it.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks again for all the input guys... I get the feeling that the consensus is to just go for it... and I will when I can. Just one more question which one of you can I call on to help pull me out... if by chance I get stuck in the mud. :lol:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

hp18carr wrote: Just one more question which one of you can I call on to help pull me out... if by chance I get stuck in the mud. :lol:
Ah the beauty of the swing keel ! First time we took EE down dat narrow Bayou Bonfouca I let the keel down a few turns along the way..and yep I got too close to the bank...a few cranks back up on the keel and away we went..
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

as long as you don't get the trailer stuck in the mud you will be ok as EE mentioned keel down a bit and if you hit bottom crank it up and away you go I would say 5 turns of the keel winch handle. Also before you float off the trailer look for leaks you don't want to take on water and not be able to get it back on the trailer.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/