Help..me recover my jib halyard

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mga1951

Help..me recover my jib halyard

Post by mga1951 »

Yes...the cardinal rule for sailors...don't let your halyard snap, end up at the top of the mast..
It happened yesterday first time out this year. Had it snapped in, ( I thought)
Any ideas besides bringing the mast down?? Not sure if I want to climb it.

Also changed the name of our boat to "FORE SAIL"...maybe that's the problem..the new name!! :)
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Have you seen the thread " this is how I roll "

:wink:
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

Life rule.......Always have a friend with a bucket truck.

Climb the mast...its not that hard if you have some on you trust on the other end of your line. make a short rope continuous loop. When you get to the top gerth the loop around the mast and use it as a foot hold to steady your self. people use the sailing seats for going up but if you have or can get a rock climbing belt they are really lite and comfy. you can get them really cheep as well and is nice to have on your boat for times like this and they take up no space.
Im not sure if these pics help to understand what I mean or not but Its late and ill give it a shot.

As you can see this is at the dock but I we where in the middle of lake Ontario when we had to go up the first time as we where sailing.

John K

Post by John K »

We toiled over this issue endlessly, because it happened on my friend's Catalina. Sadly, unless you have a trained falcon, someone must go up.
Last edited by John K on Mon May 14, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1977 C22: Dog House
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Did that on EE once in the slip..totally non-nautical and possibly dangerous but effective solution was to rent a long extension ladder..propped the feet up on the back edge of the forehatch, tied a line from the first rung to the mast base, and tied the main halyard to the top rung. Extended the ladder and then pulled tight on the other side of the mailn halyard and secured it off to keep the top of the ladder against the mast. Climbed up, grabbed the halyard brought it down, dropped the ladder..total time about 15 minutes...

Funny looks from the other sailors..well not at 630am on a Sunday, I ain't totally stupid.. :wink:
John K

Post by John K »

Ha ha ha.

We talked about doing the ladder thing, but when the matter of deciding who was going to do it came up, we just all looked around at each other. :roll:
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

John K wrote:Ha ha ha.

We talked about doing the ladder thing, but when the matter of deciding who was going to do it came up, we just all looked around at each other. :roll:
Well now you kow those aren't uncharted waters !
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

I have recovered a halyard by standing on the dock with a long piece of Pvc (think I used 3/8) and duct taped to the end of the pvc was the hook from a bungee cord. I did use a 6 foot step ladder on the dock and hook the halyard and bring it down. I took a couple of pieces of pvc and with about a foot overlap taped them together to get enough length. Was not pretty and it took about 20 minutes but still quicker than dropping the mast.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

What about motoring your boat under a bridge? Maybe along side a waterfront building?

Scott
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I remember seeing somebody do a "knockdown test" once (maybe back when I was interested in MacGregors?) He pulled his main halyard onto the dock and used it to tip his boat sideways until he had it down parallel to the water. Maybe you could do that to retrieve your halyard?
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

I haaaaattteee when that happens! Three or four times for me. I always end up dropping the mast but was lucky enough the shake it down once. It helps to curse while looking up at the halyard....just dangling up there laughingly.
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I had to go up and free the main halyard this evening. Redux came with a bosun's chair which had never been used. A young friend from work helped get my 180 lb. *ss up to the top with the halyard winch and the longest winch handle I have. I did my best help, holding my feet against the mast, pushing and grabbing the rigging as best I could, pulling. I am getting to old for this kind of stuff, think I'll make some mast climbing shoes.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I have never tried this but what about 1/2 or 3/4 PVC sched 40 with a 1/4" line tied to the end and a loop like a snare that animal control would use and the rest of the line through the pipe get it around the halyard and pull the snare and bring it down.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Also changed the name of our boat to "FORE SAIL"...maybe that's the problem..the new name!! :)
Uh oh! Renamed your boat, that's it! Very serious business there. Tradition must be adhered to or else! You're lucky the halyard went up instead of everything else going down. Make sure all traces of the old boat name have been obliterated before sailing again , then stand on the fore deck and sing 'Blow the Man Down' whilst hopping on one foot, patting your head and rubbing your belly to do penance to Neptune for any errors made...... and take videos :lol:
Last edited by cs3079 on Wed May 16, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

How about using a telescoping pool cleaning handle, those things are really long. I had to do the same thing on a Macgreggor 24, we pulled up along side a double decker dock and used a sappling we took from the local woods. :shock: We taped a hook from a bundgee cord to the end of the sappling and snaged the haylard. 8) Sometimes you gota get creative. Good luck
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

sauerleigh wrote:think I'll make some mast climbing shoes.
I've heard that "Plumber's Helpers" work for that. I've even seen it on Batman on tv, but I don't believe it.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

LeatherneckPA wrote:
sauerleigh wrote:think I'll make some mast climbing shoes.
I've heard that "Plumber's Helpers" work for that. I've even seen it on Batman on tv, but I don't believe it.
Holy Halyard Hockles Batman !!!!
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Well... the replies above are as varied as the locations of are members!!
We have not tried anything yet.. Like the ladder idea.. Very intrigued with the "knockdown test"...!!
I will keep you posted as to what we decide and how it goes. and No I won't be doing any dance, jig, or chant on the bow for the name change..at least not on camera!! haha
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I also noted the name change: Fore Sail. Perhaps the boat misunderstood your intent - for sale - and has hurt feelings. I'd talk to it nicely before proceeding.

Just sayin'
Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Whish some one would try that knockdown test on Chrysler sailboats. I have seen the video on the Macgregor, Takes two puling on the line from top of mast. An on the Rhodes 22 video it took two, So it could be done on Chryslers too. I think that a Chrysler knockdown would be a good way to check on the keel cable, or clean the bottom of the boat.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Chrysler20%26 wrote:I think that a Chrysler knockdown would be a good way to check on the keel cable, or clean the bottom of the boat.
Wow! I had never even thought of it as a way to check on or replace the keel cable. That is one of the chores for this summer, since Believer spent a great deal of the last 10 years in a saltwater marine before getting dragged up to PA.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

I have used lengths of shoe molding taped together with a really big fish hook taped to the end. if you can fasten your spinnaker halyard about a foot below the hook you can use one hand to pull it up and one to guide the stick. This worked well for me more than once.
mga1951

we got it..!!

Post by mga1951 »

Well..we tried the ladder idea first. Used Tie Down Straps to lash the ladder to the mast.. I went up about 16 feet and chickened out, That was not for me.. especially since we were still at the dock.
We brought the mast down using a Tie down strap wrapped around the mast. Since the jib halyard was at the top. we couldnt use it!!.

Everything is back to normal.
Tried to post pics..no luck. Dont have a flicker acct..etc.. I will try later on
thank you all for the suggestions.. and I hope none of you have to ever use any of them ..:)
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

skyed my halyard and the bucket truck was in another town.

This is how I got it down

Dad-" hey Boy ( my 16 yeard old string bean tooth pick looking kid) got get you rock climbing belt.

Boy- "alright we are going climbning"

We get to the boat..........

Boy-" I thought we where going climbing I dont want to go sailing".

Dad- " you are going climbing........you are going to climb the mast"

Boy- " lol I dont want to do that.... why dont you do it"

Dad- "1st of all Im too fat and lazy, 2nd I don't want to pay fo you to go to Canadas wonderland this weekend but your mother is going to make me.......so in return your going to climb the mast or your not going anywhere this weekend!'

Boy- " Ill get my belt on"

see, easy. took 10 mins I got my halyard and the boy went to the amusment park and the best of all the wife was happy.
John K

Post by John K »

I like your style!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

HA ha ha!

I love the get the halyard method! Come here boy . . . . . wanna go climbing?

LOL!

Scott