First Trip to the Lake

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
N41EF

First Trip to the Lake

Post by N41EF »

Well, we went sailing, sort of, more on that later.
The load up and hook up went well

The trip to the lake, and the mast erection went well. My daughter went along to help. Her first time on a boat that wasn't nuclear powered.

Launching went well. I had searched out a ramp with a curtisey dock.

Now for the sad parts. My 31 year old sail that had been patched, tore badly. Found there are actual holes in the sail, like something chewed on it. Didn't make a big deal in the driveway with no wind, but as soon as it was hoisted and took a strain, it shreded in three places. So, I need a new main sail.

I have water leaking in from the port side keel pin plate. In three hours took on about 2.5 gallons of water.

Took on water under the port aft settie, I think that means rudder tube seal? I did replace the tube on the keel winch. Wasn't able to see where the water came from, had just a little when we launched, after motoring around for two hours had prob 8 to 10 gallons, enought that a bilge pump would have been needed.

The wind had come up after we loaded up to leave, when letting down the mast a gust caught it and it snapped the tip of the mast hook thing. I had already decided I wanted a hinge, guess that settles it.

So, I need a main sail, and a mast hinge, Where did you get your hinge at?

In summary, we had a blast just motoring around for a couple of hours, and the boat DOES float, at least.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

There is a drain hole passage from the port keel hinge settee to the port rear one so you may only have the one leak, water can also flow between the inner liner and the hull. I would address it first. Except for the sail ripping sounds like a good first trip.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Google Kenyon 1374
Hinged Mast Plate
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

Sorry to hear about the troubles. You can probably find a used sail that can be cut to fit the C-22, or buy a new one, they aren't terribly expensive. Check this site out and I'm sure many more sail lofts would be happy to build you a new sail for similar money.

http://maurisails.com/Sails-For-Chrysle ... LER22.html

The port side settee lockers are fairly water tight from what I have seen on my boat, so I'm not sure that the water would necessarily transfer from one to the other. And if they did leak under the liner, the water would also start coming out of the hole on the starboard side of the keel pin after it got to a certain height. The cable goes through a plastic thru hull fitting to inside the trunk under the boat and does seem to wear through it over time. Quick check would be to fill the aft locker with some water and see if it leaks out under the boat.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It sounded like a successful voyage over all. Sure you found some things to fix. Can't be helped, they 30 year old boats after all and we, this round of owners are the ones to put things back to right and do the upgrades.

SO your boat will be sporting a new hinge plate, keel pin and new sails come next sailing season. You have all winter to fix these issues. Now you will find other little things wrong in the future. However you hit the big 3 on your first time out. It's easy stuff after this like, bottom paint or seat cushions.

Sounds to me like your well on your way to lots of happy sailing. Thanks for the photos and the story. :D

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

AWESOME!!!

Glad you had fun even with the mishap with the sails!

Scott
monty

Post by monty »

Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

The good news is the C22 performs very well under the Genoa alone. If you get the bug to go for a sail before you get the new main then go for it. I had my 22 out that way many a time. I think it's one of the best ways to rig when the wind gets up a bit. Glad you at least got to motor around for a bit. :)
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Quite often I sail the 26 with the 170 alone and it keeps up with others.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
johnjax292
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by johnjax292 »

I got through the season by placing a bilge pump in the fwd settee. The wife wouldn't sail with me in my unsafe vessel, but I got some sailing done. The boat is on blocks with the keel hanging. Hope to get it off soon and get the keel sand blasted and re-epoxied. The swing keel pin needs to be pulled too. Hopefully, my patch work won't make the remove too much harder.

I am looking at a stainless steel pin assembly. Not sure on the pricing yet, but $400-500 seem to give me a ball park.

Maybe we can share notes on our winter projects. I just installed a slf-furling jib and was limited to three sails with her before I pulled for the season. Need to get my money out of the new sail next year!

Good luck with your Chrysler, they really are a great vessel.
John
s/v Gatta Nostra
1977 C22
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

John- Where'd you get your furler? What did you spend on it?

Mark
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

This is the furler I got for the 26 it fits up to a 33' headstay.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=136615
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Thanks Lyle!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")