Starting fresh . . . . . . . .

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Starting fresh . . . . . . . .

Post by CaptainScott »

Well guys,

Since I sold my 1975 C22 I am now starting fresh with a 1976 C22.
My 75 was a loaded boat with just about all the silly little goodies you could want in a day sailor or even an over nighter.

My 76 is a bare hull with lifelines and standing rigging! Yes, she has a tiller and keel also. However that is about it. She is neckid inside! Even the wood covering the setti's is rotted to the point of throwing it away. No cushions, sails, or even running rigging. Even the tiller was rotted through and is junk! YIKES!

So, the journey begins.

I have started the process of collecting items for the restoration and upgrading the 76. To date I have bought all new running rigging and have spliced the double braid myself exactly where I want things. Last weekend I stumbled into a 2009 electric start 9.9 4 stroke Tohatso with an extra long shaft. Looks new!

Today I stumbled into a decent looking 8 position DC panel with 5 switches. Price looks great but for 50 more bucks I can have LED's! LOL! Nah, I can add my own! I did order 3 extra circuit breakers though so the panel will be full and ready for wiring!

If interested, here is what I picked up.
http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com/in ... 7&prod=586
. . . just remember, mine has no LED's! ( I'll add those myself)

As I move forward I will wait for holiday sales to find a depth finder, DCS VHF radio, and watch for any deals on LED lighting. A decent stereo is in order as well as new sails but again, hopefully I can find sales. I'm even thinking of using Billy's ideas for the spreader replacements! NO reason there other than it looks very nice on his boat pictures!

One thing I'll not likely do is interior cushions! Since I'll not likely over night on her, I figure keep it super simple in that area. Just some basic butt cushions. Keeps moisture, smells, and mildew down in the wet weather.

So, here is a question . . . . . . . . . IF you had a bare hull . . ..EG, nothing inside. Empty. What would you do to make your ride more fun? I know what I want ( and need ) but what goodies would you add or change?

. . . . . .and so the games of hunt and search for just the right items begins! LOL!

Scott

PS:
For those curious, here is the boat the day Alan and I saved her and a link to the story!

Click here for the story!
Last edited by CaptainScott on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

You are about where I am with the '75 I just bought. I pulled the dumpster over next to the boat and unloaded it of all its contents including every last piece of running rigging. Granted, mine had been sunk partially, so most of it needed to go anyways. I keep looking at it in the backyard and thinking how great a flat deck would look on a cut down hull and an open transom as well. I have it in my head that I could take 7-800lbs out of it by cutting out the liner and building a new deck. That and it is an early boat with the tall rig, might be pretty fast. That's just my crazy idea for mine though! :D
Lucky Jack

Re: Starting fresh . . . . . . . .

Post by Lucky Jack »

69Shark wrote:I'm even thinking of using Billy's ideas for the spreader replacements! NO reason there other than it looks very nice on his boat pictures!
Could you elaborate on this as I need to replace mine also. Though there's only the one photo and you can't see much, I like what this guy did with his interior:

http://www.sailingtexas.com/schrysler22s.html
1980 C22 Rose Sea
blu by you

Post by blu by you »

when i bought my boat it had been sitting for 7 yrs the cabin looked like a science project(rotting water soaked leaves etc.) i took it to a carwash, sprayed the interior with clorox and power washed it. it worked well the cabin even spells clean now
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl