Escapism

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Escapism

Post by J. Austin »

Defined: Escapism is mental diversion by means of entertainment or recreation, as an "escape" from the perceived unpleasant or banal aspects of daily life. It can also be used as a term to define the actions people take to help relieve persisting feelings of depression or general sadness.

As I sat this afternoon in my Van, copy of Don Casey's Electics simplified in my lap, it began to rain gently. The cool rain combined with a warm wash over me and to my suprise, I was transported to the cocckpit of my steadfast Sandpiper. I was sitting witht the same book, my bare feet sprawled out before me as the rain gently washed the cabintop.
These fleeting few moments, of course, interupted by the reality of going to work. Fleeting or not, it was momentary perfection that we see all too few glimpses of. I thought later that perhaps the satisfation of the project that I nearly completed earlier, or maybe the great cup of coffee next to me instigated the momentary lapse in conciousness. Either way, I was indeed satisfied.
It never fails to amaze me the things that people, and sailors especially, do to keep sane.
I have even developed an affinity for the first snow. This event makes me realize that late January will be here soon, and where I live that can only mean one thing. The Chicago boat show. The Navy pier never looks as good as it does when it is covered in the white stuff and I am only a coat-check away from being around sailors and some of the finest craft ever produced from human hands.
I didn't realize for hours that the satisfaction that I felt from my earlier project was out of place due to the fact that the end result of said project is putting my boat away for the year. Such a terrible term, "away for the year", when in fact it will only be months before she can feel the sun on her gelcoat once again.
The message I send to you my fellow sailors is, stop, if just for a second, read on your boat, drink a cup of coffee on her, let her know she is not forgotten during those icy months. And rejoyce in your escapism.

Thanks for listening.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Man has had an affinity for the sail from the beginning of recorded time and will until time is no more.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
N41EF

Re: Escapism

Post by N41EF »

Such a terrible term, "away for the year", when in fact it will only be months before she can feel the sun on her gelcoat once again.
The message I send to you my fellow sailors is, stop, if just for a second, read on your boat, drink a cup of coffee on her, let her know she is not forgotten during those icy months. And rejoyce in your escapism.

Thanks for listening.[/quote]

1. Find a real estate agent
2. Sell the stuff that isn't important
3. Move South, keep going until you don't find snow shovels in Walmart or Home Depot.
4. Realize that outside activities don't have to stop based on the calendar.

We have jobs here. Home prices are reasonable and haven't dropped much. I ride my bicycle on new years day. I don't own snow tires. State taxes are friendly to retirees.

I do however understand what you mean. I think it's a passion thing about the things we care about. Case in point, a new Porsche owner wanted to know how to make his Porsche car alarm "beep" when he locked the car, his Honda Civic did it and he liked it. My answer was when you step out of your car and press the lock button on the key fob you hear and feel a THUNK as it locks, if you are walking away the hazard lights flash. If you walk away and don't look back at the car you have no soul, please sell your Porsche and buy another Civic.

The boat in my driveway is rapidly becoming a huge part of my life.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Guilty here...

Hours of zen like work on projects give way eventually to hours spent zen like on the water. Amazes me how quickly time can pass! Looking forward to Fall sailing as I scurry to get paintt on before it gets too chilly...
blu by you

Post by blu by you »

what are ya all talking about "icy weather, cold, fall" ya need to come to florida im just starting the sailing season
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Sailing season? "Away for the year"? Winterizing? Snow shovels? Snow tires? Never heard of any of that stuff. Strange northerners make tires and shovels out of snow? btw, I added some pics from sailing last weekend in my picassa account. https://picasaweb.google.com/103643861499307054833, and we'll be back out again this weekend. This time more sailing and less hanging out at crab island.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

I have got to say.... We are having the discussions at our house about what wknd to take our C-22 out..:( One thing we do have, a place @ the Inner Banks in NC. So that helps..Only get down there 2-3 times a yr.. someday, much more. :)
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Great rebuttle from all.
I agree with the crazy southerners, that I am a crazy notherner.
I was born and raised in the great state of FL (still a Gator fan.).
I left in college and go back at least once a year. I miss it greatly, however the only thing that makes man make silly decisions more than a quest for great sailing is women. I have 6 to contend with. (Mom, wife, 4 daughters)
I consider myself lucky to have ability to sail at all.
I never can talk myself out of a sail, because there might not be tomorrow in the north.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I always appreciate an invite like that.
Great choice on the slip. I enjoyed the thrashing of the Vols a couple weeks ago.
It's the wierdest thing, they're always saying wierd things around here like "State plays Notre Dame this weekend." And all I can wonder is how that can be, since Florida State is in SEC and ND in the Big 10. Turns out they mean Michigan State, wierd.
I thought there was only on "State" and they always lose to the Gators.

BTW, lets see if the Michigan State comment gets Mark to chime in.
Poor guy is a Lions fan too, :shock: lol.
jerecaustin.com
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

thepartydog wrote:being a Gator Fan...
Both of you...Oct 8th, Tiger Stadium...2:30pm.. 8)

(sad part is I'll be on a Southwest Flight most of the whole game..)
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Easy there, Jay. Comes to college, I'm fairly independant. Long as they're not playing each other, I'm a Wolverine as much as a Sparty. In State however, Go Blue Baby!!!

No team has had more highlight reel footage than the Liedowns, I mean Lions! Unfortunately, they were always "against" in those highlights!

And their ain't nobody out there who can begrudge a Lions fan his due. Even I'm barely old enough to remember winning seasons. Though I'm a Packer fan for as long as I can remember, I'm all over this bandwagon and not embarrassed to say so.

Most fun watching since Barry Sanders sailed down the field, tacking effortlessly through the stormy seas of the opposition! (Phew, almost missed the sailing ref!)
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Escapism

Post by tgentry »

N41EF wrote:Move South, keep going until you don't find snow shovels in Walmart or Home Depot.
That is very close to my 5 year plan. I'm going to put the snowblower on the back of the van and drive south until someone says, "what's that thing?" ;-)
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

EE,

As long as it isn't by one %$^&*()!@#$%%^&*(*&$#@@#@ field goal.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

thepartydog wrote:EE,

As long as it isn't by one %$^&*()!@#$%%^&*(*&$#@@#@ field goal.

Well, we'll see what can do to help :wink:

<sailing content> I spent a good while relaxing on EE the other night even tho she's still trailer bound at the club.
Sometimes that's good enough...
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

No APP State fans here?
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Mark sorry to drag u in, but I must admit as well that I have watched more Lions games this season thatn ever. I sincerely hope they can do it this year, this beautiful state we live in desereves it. Just don't tell the Denver Broncos I said that. I've been their fan since age 5.

Oh, and EE, your still on your boat when she's on her trailer. Some great days can come in the oddest place, so that indeed is good enough.
jerecaustin.com
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

Back on track.

I never expected to own two sailboats at this stage of my life, but I do. I've escaped for many hours and many miles aboard DEDUX this season with friends and by myself. Somehow I have never really felt like the owner of that boat, I am not certain why, more like a care taker. The Maude Kay, in spite of the fact that she is not even close to being launched, is ALL mine. It is quite probably the blood, sweat and tears I've invested to this point that make me feel that way. I do look out the window at her at times and imagine they way she'll look when finished, all bright and pretty.

My hat is off to anyone that takes the time to bring something back, be it car, boat, motorcycle, plane, home. They all have their own form of escape.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

I'll drink to that, Sauerleigh!

My neighbors stop by once in a while to ask if I'm gonna ever finish. "I doubt it!" is my initial reply. Tieing flys is at least half the fun of going fly fishing and working on what'll eventually be "Angela Marie" is all joy for me right now. Though I chomp at the bit to get her in the water, I relish the time I'm spending on her now getting her ready for that first journey.

Many a Tiger's game was listened to while up in there working away. Where sailing promises to be an order of magnitude better, I thoroughly enjoyed this summer's efforts while "sailing" in my driveway and my mind's eye.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
johnjax292
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by johnjax292 »

My goal is to get to the point were I stop being a shipwright and become a true sailor. Well maybe a true sailor needs to be a shipwright. All I know for sure is I have a lot more work this winter than the sailing I did this summer. Damn that keel pin assembly!
John
s/v Gatta Nostra
1977 C22