Hang it all - Anchor storage

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hang it all - Anchor storage

Post by Paul »

I own an anchor, probably need another but I'm only on small lakes and will rarely use it. My question is how you stow your anchors to be ready for use.

I found this approach at a local sailboat marina. I'll probably not be taking this approach :lol: http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz65 ... proach.jpg
Tranquil Chaos
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Paul

Imagination does seem to come into play here... can't fault someone for that. What caught my eye was the anchor itself never seen one like it before... looks to be a bit under weight for the boat it is on?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

In all fairness, this is a small lake. The shoreline in the background is the "other side". No currents to deal with. One of my concerns is that the hanging spool of rode will be pulled forward as slack is taken out. There is really nothing I can see to stop this movement.

But my agenda is to have a discussion so I can figure out how to fasten mine to the front of Tranquil Chaos.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Paul

Sorry for missing the mark, but with luck my C26 has an anchor locker at the bow adequate for line and chain, but the anchor itself most likely will need to be affixed to the bow railing in some fashion. West Marine for one has an assortment of rail-mount anchor brackets. As too what to do with the line and chain without a locker... that's one bridge I've not needed to cross. I'm sure however there are a number on this forum who has. Below is a work in progress photo of my bow.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
johnjax292
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by johnjax292 »

I have a fluke style anchor with the same type of hooks for mounting. I have a plastic covered chain and my anchor line runs through a anchor line fitting. My line sits in the opening at the head of the berthing. Overall it does the job, but some issues:
1) the mounts have let my anchor fall in rough seas. I use a stainless steel carabiner to lock the chain into the toe rail. If the anchor falls, it normally rides in the water until I can go to the bow and retrive it.
2) I also have tied the anchor mounts to prevent the anchor from falling.

I am currently all broken down waiting to coordinate with my boat mover. (No trailer) I will try to take a picture before I cover it for the winter.
John
s/v Gatta Nostra
1977 C22
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Paul a friend of mine had an anchor like that and it is good and bad in some respects you can move over the anchor and shackle will move up near the flukes and pull it out easy but on the other hand we were anchored in Croton bay 3 days a breeze out of the south then a blow out of the north and the anchor came out as it was designed but his boat blew into a State swimming area and on the beach after the blow was done I pulled my anchor and towed him out.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Windward

Post by Windward »

I installed an anchor roller on Windward's bow and built a rode locker in the forepeak, but that might be more trouble than you're looking to go to.

My stern hook is a Danforth knock-off that lives in a pushpit-mounted anchor bracket. I made a bag out of Sunbrella to hold the rode, and it is hung off the stern rail as well. Before the roller/locker in the bow, I used a similar arrangement there when I sailed Windward on the coast.
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

On the Mcgregor forum several owners have attached 6 or 8" PVC pipe to their bow pulpit stancions. They drop the shank of the anchor into the pipe then feed the chain in. The rode stores in a bag hanging from the rail.

Using this method, you can have a a different style anchor on each side for different bottom conditons.
Clair
Windward

Post by Windward »

Clair, I used to have just such a "potato cannon" device hose clamped to Windward's pulpit, and it worked great for the 16# claw anchor! And here I thought I was uniquely clever. In rough water or knock-down heavy air, the prudent move was to lash, or at least clip in, the anchor. Only downside was the occasional "It's the Clampetts!" comment, but threatening to turn the potato cannon toward the commenter usually quelled it. Then I'd share the rheumatis' medicine with 'em, just to be sure we ended up friends 8)
Windward

Post by Windward »

Clair --

Tried to PM you, but both messages languish in my outbox, seemingly unsent. PM me a "real" e-mail addy?