Irene

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Tommy Monaco

Irene

Post by Tommy Monaco »

So, with Irene threatening the East Coast, I'd like a little help, or suggestions on how to best prepare for our first hurricane. I keep her in a slip on the Chesapeake in a very well protected area (deep in a winding creek off a protected bay which is surrounded by high ground on 3 sides). But, with 100 mph winds expected and a 4 foot surge we will still get battered around a bit. The bow faces west, stern-to dock on the east with no finger piers.

I'm going to loosen up the lines a bit, maybe a foot or 2 to allow for the high water, but I'd like to hear any suggestions you guys have. The winds spin counter clockwise in a hurricane, so if we catch the western edge there is the possibility the waters will even get pushed out of the bay. Kind of a messy situation!

Thanks!
johnjax292
Site Admin
Site Admin

Making Ready for the storm

Post by johnjax292 »

1. Be sure to pull all your sails and bring them home, don't leave them on the vessel.

2. Double all lines and if able try to go in all four directions. I am unable to so I only have three. Use spring lines. Tie off all bitter ends of rope. Use some hose on the lines were they may chaff. At 50 -100 mph it won't take long to pull any rope apart or rub it through.

3. Assume the rain will enter the boat from every little crack. Remove what you can and use garbage bags to protect the rest. I am also going to use duct tape to seal the hatchs. Tie stuff down in the cabin.

4. I am trying to decide if I am going to pull the outboard. Just got it last year and would not want to see it at the bottom of docks, with the boat still floating.

5. Make sure none of your rigging is loss or banging against your mast. Something will wear out or break.

6. Get your batteries fully charged. Disconnect shore power and make sure your bilge pump has power.

Then check the boats around you. Don't be afraid to offer help. My biggest fear is the boats that are not ready hitting mine. Then get some where safe and wait. We will all deal with what is left!

Good Luck!
John
s/v Gatta Nostra
1977 C22
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Tommy, See if you can move to a bigger slip. That saved our boat in Galveston during Alicia. Bigger slip and every rope you can find. Keep the tidal surge in mind.

John . . . yank the outboard!
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The last (and only) line that kept EE from leaving the dock during Katrina was tied from one of the padeyes on the stern to a point on a dock piling down low near the water. Deck cleats were all pulled loose, or had remnants of line on them..but that one was solid..

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 280781&ck=

If feasible run an anchor out to a point on solid ground and drive that puppy in solid with a sledge hammer. EE's anchor line was wrapped around a small tree several times then driven in.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I am pulling My Getaway on Sat. and will relaunch after she goes by.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

Good luck to you guys on the east cost, let us know how your boats weathered the storm