Pics of fabrications (rudder post and keel brackets)

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
John K

Pics of fabrications (rudder post and keel brackets)

Post by John K »

I finally figured out how to embed pics, so I figured I should show the rudder post assy that my brother had made for me @ a fab shop in Pa. Also keel brackets that I purchased at Idasailor. Buying them is easier than installing them I'm sure. :shock:

1977 C22: Dog House
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

my that hardware looks nice!!

Scott
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Very Nice looking! I'm really liking the plug for the keelpin brackets. It will be much easier to remove than my cap version!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Don't get me wrong... I'm glad I've got what I've got. The first mate would have been hard pressed to go with anything smaller, but seeing all the bright and shiny new fab shop toys going on all the C22's of late... perhaps I should have started with one myself. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Moonshine Jim

Post by Moonshine Jim »

I don't know much about these things but how are you going to install the keel pin bracket? I don't see any bolts. Am I missing something?
1975 C-22 Callisto
Toms River, NJ
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Nice!! Ever think about a production run on the rudder ?
John K

Post by John K »

Moonshine Jim wrote:I don't know much about these things but how are you going to install the keel pin bracket? I don't see any bolts. Am I missing something?
The original did not have a preset drill pattern. In other words, my bracket holes are not in the same exact positions as your bracket holes. I guess they were done at the factory by hand. When I take the old ones out, I'll have to make a drill template and drill the new ones out on a drill press.
John K

Post by John K »

Jmckamey wrote:Nice!! Ever think about a production run on the rudder ?
Unfortunately, my brother was only able to have one made. He has other contracts with the shop, so this was kind of an under the table type of thing. I think he may have done a detailed CAD drawing of it from the crude drawing that I supplied to him from the lizards site. I'll find out and post it if he did.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

John...when did you purchase the keel pin brackets from IDA Rudder?
I don't see them listed in their catalog.
Bill
John K

Post by John K »

astrorad wrote:John...when did you purchase the keel pin brackets from IDA Rudder?
I don't see them listed in their catalog.
Bill, it's been about a year now. They said it was their last pair, and I paid $450 for them :?
It's possible that they would do another run on them if they got enough interest though. It was listed on the site at the time. Joel and company seem to be great folks, so you never know.

Note: I edited the price I paid for these brackets after digging out the original invoice. I paid $450.00 plus shipping
Last edited by John K on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tommy Monaco

Post by Tommy Monaco »

Great stuff, man. This is a project I'm in the middle of as well. If you find the CAD file, that would be great. I'm currently having some difficulty getting the rudder post disassembled. I've got the tiller assembly and collar off, but the mushroom shaped bearing at the top is attached in a way that I can't seem to remove easily. Is the 22' keel assembly any different from the 26'? What metal did you use? Did you beef up the design at all?
John K

Post by John K »

Well, it's all stainless, and the new rudder post is 3/16" wall tubing. It's a bit heavier, and the rudder control lines will be a tighter fit, but I think it will be fine.
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

If your boat is like mine, the mushroom shaped bearing (you didn't say if it was the one in the cockpit or the one under the hull) is the top part of a pretty much standard nylon through hull. It is secured from inside the boat by a threaded nut. This is probably obscured from view on the top one unless you really squeeze under the cock pit floor and look up alongside the rubber hose that encloses the rudder stock. I took my bottom one out and was going to replace it with a bronze through hull that I made here http://sports.webshots.com/photo/286254 ... 4140ZIhWJu but the old one looked so good I rebedded it in 4200 and left it in. There are also some pictures of my new stainless rudder on that site. The rudder stock should just practically fall out the bottom with the three bolt collar and tiller head removed. I have to fold the rudder up and crank the trailer jack all the way down to get enough room for the rudder stock to clear the lower through hull/bearing assembly.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

I think I misunderstood the question. You obviously have a bearing on top of the rudder cheeks. I did too, but it was a loose fitting nylon mushroom and slid right off. You may need to sand any buildup off the rudder stock and use some P Blaster to loosen it. I am sure some other folks have suggestions. If you mess up the bearing, it is easy to make another one on a lathe. I can make you one out of some 1" thick HDPE if needed.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
John K

Post by John K »

I haven't tried to install my post assy yet, because I was so anxious to put it in the water. I figured it would last a season as-is (it's still in the water now). I don't anticipate having problems with the bearings aside from having to re-secure the top one. It has a good bit of slop in it now. Hopefully I can just use some 4200/5200 to secure it. I did notice that the collar set screws are not stainless and were pretty oxidized though. I was not able to break them loose during my brief attempt. Hopefully some liquid wrench will break it free.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I checked with IDA rudder and they said that they didn't have any more keel brackets...I am going to try and fab my own if mine need replacement....By the way...Ida rudder are nice folks to deal with.
Bill
John K

Post by John K »

Yeah Bill I give them five stars in courtesy and customer service. I bought a new tiller from them as well. It's a beauty!
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Papax3

Post by Papax3 »

Okay....

so... everybody is asking for pics, and I noticed that you figured out how to embed pics. Is there a gallery on this forum? I don't see anywhere to look at, or download pics.

Papax3
Bill
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Papax3 wrote:Okay....

so... everybody is asking for pics, and I noticed that you figured out how to embed pics. Is there a gallery on this forum? I don't see anywhere to look at, or download pics.

Papax3
Bill
Hi Bill,

There is not one single place where our photos sit on this web site. When you see a photo here, it is just a representation. The photo is really sitting on another web site and we just paste in a pointer to that web site where the real photo sits.

Look down by our signatures at the bottom of our posts. Look at the bottom of my posts. You will see a Web link on many of our posting or in my case, all of my postings to my Web photo hosting page and you can look through our/my photos at your leisure. Just click on my link below and you will see my good, bad and ugly photo collection of my boat.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
John K

Post by John K »

I use Google's Picasa Web (I got a lot of free storage space with my Gmail account). It took me a handful of attempts to get it right. I have to click the "image link only" checkbox, then copy the contents of the "embed" box (on the Picasa page), then click the "Img" button at the top of my message window in this site, and then paste the embed link.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Handy guide to pic posting is here
http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... php?t=1373

EE
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I did the same as Alan I went to my home page for flickr and right click and copy addr then in my block of text on profile the last line I right click and paste.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Wow! what Greg did is amazing!

I had a set of OEM style mushroom bearings that I purchased from IdaSailor
( a long time ago and they made a big deal about them being the last pair and they being unlikely to make more -- they seemed unconvinced that the Chrysler sailing fleet is quite large and actively restoring their boats and need these items..)

but I really am uncomfortable with the radiator hose set-up for the rudder post... I satyed with it under the theory that ..." well it was good for chrysler and it hasn't failed in 30 years..." but I am worried that a failure would very quickly sink the ( already transom heavy ) boat...

how strong is our OEM rudder stock ( which I still have as well..) was it stainless as it should have been.

I heard horror stories of the cheeks breaking away from the post under the leverage of the blade...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
KeyWest

Post by KeyWest »

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. Why does the rudder on my boat retract with a rope? I've never tried it because it looks like the rope is immovable, but it seems silly because my keel is already four feet...
So what's it for? Won't the rope get wet and rub to pieces?

Also can someone point me to a picture of the tiller? Our tiller seems way too thick and short, like someone took a larger one and modified it. The base of it, where there's a metal piece (looks like a cast piece) is completely rusted away. How do I replace that? I do not have a shop.
johnjax292
Site Admin
Site Admin

C22 Swing Keel Assembly

Post by johnjax292 »

I too am lucky enough to have to replace my C22 swing keel pin assembly. Does anyone have good drawings that a machinist can use to build a set? Or does anyone still have a stainless steel set to sell?

The leaking around the assembly has been stopped by epoxy, but the Mrs. won't return to sea with a sinking ship. Tried to explain about the foam and that the boat won't sink but oh well, it was this winter's project any how.

Thanks to all those who have posted on this. It has been a great help.

John
S/V Gatta Nostra
1977 Chrysler 22
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Ok,

IdaSailor HAD all this great stuff for the Chrysler.... we really need to let them know we have a large fleet and we are committed to maitining the fleet as they age.. I just installed my set of IdaSailor rudder brearings... PERFECT FIT.. REALLY EASY and surveyor told me that it was one of the tightest fitting rudder's he has seen! Well worth the money BUT.. they told me it was their last set... They have the molds for all thsi good stuff , we should encourage them to do another short production run on chrysler stuff....

I really like that rudder / cheek set-up... I think a production run would be great... see if you can have him price one out.... my only other option is FossFoam.. great rudders but very pricey...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I can't believe people have the nerve to charge 400.00 for the 22 keel pin assy. especially if they come undrilled. Even if you don't shop beyond Mcmaster Carr, the materials shouldn't cost much more than 30.00. Three cuts with a Sawzall and a belt sander to radius the corners and you have the blanks. Drill for the pin and mounting holes, line everything up, clamp it all together and go to a weldshop to have it tigged together. even if they charge 60.00 an hour you're way ahead. Maybe they're charging for the polish job.
Clair