storm jib

Post your sail topics here
Rikthesailor

storm jib

Post by Rikthesailor »

I picked up a chrysler 22 recently and someone recommend i get a storm jib for windier days. I don't know how to size one...or if there is a size i can order of just buy one made for the boat. .
Thanks in advance for any help i can get with this.
Skipper Dan

Re: storm jib

Post by Skipper Dan »

Call Precision Sails. I doubt you need a storm sail. Just a 100 would be good. If it is too windy just use the main reefed only.
Calayr

Post by Calayr »

I love my roller furling jib.
jfishburne

Post by jfishburne »

I've not needed to reef my sail in the past but as I examine my boom and main, it looks like it was never designed to reef. What am I missing? My manuals don't address reefing.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Reefing is an essential skill if you are going to sail. It is not difficult but I don’t think I can describe it as well as watching a video on YouTube. If you are out away from your anchorage and it looks like the wind is going to increase substantially it is best to reef before you find yourself being overwhelmed. A common heard phrase from seasoned sailors is reef often and reef early ! Trying to reef in a big blow can be difficult and possibly dangerous , and if you turn into the raging wind your sail will be flogging itself to shreds until you get it down and captured. You may not need to reef where you sail in most instances but if you sail very much eventually you will want to use this skill. If you go on YouTube I am sure you will find some good video.
Rick SV Brigadoon