C22

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good morning Tom,

There are very simple ways to reef without all the hardware assuming your sail has reef points.

Lets say it does. The reef points are the holes with grommets that run horizontally across the sail in a row. Again, since you are asking lets assume you already know this.

Lastly there are folks who will argue the "proper way" vs any other "functional" way.

My very simple method did NOT have jiffy reefing, cunninghams, down halls. No fancy gear! NADA!

Long before going sailing I Installed lines about afoot and a half long in each of the holes in the sail. Basically run a line through the hole and tie a stopper knot like maybe a figure eight knot in each end. Net affect is you have a line hanging in your sail for each hole.

To reef
All I did was loosen the halyard. ( funny line that holds the main up )
Lower the sail so the the reef points are on the boom. Now the hard part, you have to make a choice . . . .

the tack of the sail is the forward bottom hole that is hooked to the boom however you now have a new tack as the sail is lowered. You can either hook the new tack in the same place the actual tack is awkward but free!
Or if you have a cleat at the base of the mast you can run a line from the new tack to the cleat. Not as clean but still cheap and easy. Or you could rig a proper downhall.

Now the clew, you know , the hole at the foot of the sail but at the opposite end of the tack, that is hooked up to the out haul.
Again, choices! On the cheap? Simply loosen the outhaul, unclip it from the existing clew, move it to the new clew which is the hole that has been lowered to the boom, and pull snug! Or you can rig a second outhaul to make this a bit cleaner and easier.

Lastly, remember all the lines hanging in the sail that are now on the boom because you lowered the sail? Tie them to the boom while synching up excess main sail that is there!

OK, Keep in mind, the cheap options I offer are extremely effective and you can reef your sail and play! However they are a bit clumsy and time consuming. I usually reefed at the dock using that method. Much easier.

Once you are familiar and comfortable with reefing, you can google "Jiffy Reefing" Take the concept and add to your reef system simple things that assist you along the way! You can add extra outhauls without the downhauls, or if you prefer do the opposite! Add one piece at a time to spread out the costs! IF YOU WANT! If the cheap method works good for you stick with it! :)

From my experience on this sized boat, all the fancy hardware for reefing is very nice, However, for me? The most helpful item I added for reefing was a simple adjustable topping lift! No more boom on the coachtop while fussing with this, PLUS you can keep the boom up high when sitting at the dock enjoying time with your friends and family!

Now go sailing! LOL!

Hope this helps!
Scott

PS: You will get those who indicate the cheap method is not effective if you are suddenly caught in a blow. I beg to differ, it is very effective in a blow, however it is no where near as easy to set up as the "well defined proper" method with all the toys. You should practice at the dock on calm days you you have zero surprises on the water!
T.Bird

Post by T.Bird »

VERY helpful! Thanks Scott. I knew it couldn't be that hard! :)

Sorry. I should have been more clear. Yes, the sail has one set of reef points.

In my search for info, I have heard it mentioned that there is a danger of gusts ripping grommets out of reefed sails. This scares me. How does one avoid this? :
C22

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Don't sail in the wind . . . .LOL!
OK, Just kidding of coarse!

There are several ways to spill off wind. You can use the adjustable back stay to allow the top most part of the sail to twist off wind and spill power, you can reef more. My sails I had made always had 2 sets of reef points.
If you have a boom vang and are using it you can spill wind with it.

Or, you can simply let the main sheet out more..

If you are sailing in rougher weather you should see gusts coming. Just pop the jam cleat and use your hand ( and glove ) to clutch the rope with just enough pressure to hold the sail. As the wind builds rapidly, slip the rope!

Also remember when reefing, the halyard and outhaul should be pretty tight. a soft billowing sail can build a LOT of power

If the sail is old and in danger of tearing there is not a lot you can do if the weather catches you. IE 2 years ago my wife and I lost the jib on our 40'er when a gust caught us! It was half furled given the small craft advisory. We got hit from behind by 63kts + and she shredded! Yikes! our main made it though!

In short to your question, spill the wind!

Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Just this morning, I was reading a story titled Mainsail Reefing 101 in Good Old Boat magazine,
...and is has illustrations :)
I have no affiliation with GOB, but I recommend it for anyone with a older sailboat.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
T.Bird

Post by T.Bird »

C22

Reality

Post by Reality »

good advice here, I just learned reefing on my "new" C22 this summer. I was advised by the local old salts not to make the lines from reef grommets along boom too tight as they are not meant to be tight for securing the sail above reef but are intended for holding the sail "flakes" below reef to the boom. Seemed to work.