Buccaneer Centerboard

Special area for the smaller Chryslers - Musketeer, Buccaneer, Mutineer, Man O' War, Pirateer, Daggers, etc.
Eric-Fai

Buccaneer Centerboard

Post by Eric-Fai »

Hello all, thanks for the approval.

I recently purchased a 1976 Buccaneer, Sail #1931.
I have been going through the craft a bit more in detail since I got it home. I found two issues which need attention.
1) The Centerboard pivot point has been deteriorating, in fact with a bit of pressure it broke out of the socket. I am trying to figure out the best way to detach the pin / post / metal from the Centerboard truck, without causing any damage. I have found the hanger type on Nichol's site, has anyone used these on older boats such as the Chrysler? My first thought was to have one fabracted, but wondering if it would be better to just purchase the item.
2) The Starboard bailer is shot, that is the inner part, the stainless tube seems to be good, just not in the correct orination. I have no idea where to find the part. So again fabrication of the part. Thoughts are to get a piece of PVC and turn it down to the correct diameter then place a couple of groves in it for O-Rings, then cut the required slots in the piece. Anyone have other thoughts? Or suggestions?
3) There are a few other minor things, which I think I have under control. If not I will inquire here.

I have restored a catamaran in the past. Along with the process every two years stripping paint off the home build Sailfish 1962, and refinishing it. That is what I learned to sail on, oh that was so much fun in the day. The craft was built by my family and stayed in the family until it became to saturated with water about 40 years later. Funny thing, I still have the plans.

Looking forward to this current restoration project and getting back on the water, having the wind at my back! :D

Thanks for the assistance.