Sagging dagger board

Special area for the smaller Chryslers - Musketeer, Buccaneer, Mutineer, Man O' War, Pirateer, Daggers, etc.
DesertSailor

Sagging dagger board

Post by DesertSailor »

I have a 1970s vintage LS16. The port dagger board won't stay in the up position making it difficult to back the boat off the trailer. How do I access the mechanism and what do I need to do to repair this? Thanks.
nbealo

Mechanism access

Post by nbealo »

I personally havent taken apart the dagger board assembly but the person who i bought it from who happened to be a friend of mine did it when i was around and i seem to remember him having to reach under the seats from the front of the mechanism.
The disassembled view of this can be found at, http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/
click on the specs button on the left side of the page, then ls-16, then basic boat drawing #2.
I hope this helps a little bit.
Nick
DesertSailor

Sagging daggerboard

Post by DesertSailor »

I cut a hole in the fiberglass seat above the dagger-board mechanism thinking I could access the crank this way. I was wrong. I ended up just unbolting the crank from the inside of the cockpit and dropped the dagger-board through the slot in the bottom. The crank had an aluminum square-shaped post that fit through a square hole in the board. Both looked kind of rounded off in the corners through many years of use. I tried filing and patching the post to make it more square but that didn't work; the board kept dropping down from the trunk. Eventually I tried reversing the board in the slot and it seemed to fit just fine. Crank works, dagger-board doesn't sag. Turns out a previous owner had the board out and put it in backwards. Next project - patching up the hole I cut in the seat. I riveted angle iron in the seat and the piece I cut out, then patched the fiberglass with cloth and resin. Every time I do something I learn something new you're not supposed to do with sailboats.