Furling a MOW

Special area for the smaller Chryslers - Musketeer, Buccaneer, Mutineer, Man O' War, Pirateer, Daggers, etc.
maRaider

Furling a MOW

Post by maRaider »

I was reading the manual and it says to reef the sail by twisting the mast furling it that way. Perhaps it is because my boat is a little older and has had only marginal maintenance up to now, but turning the mast is pretty tough. So a couple questions:
A) Do I understand the process correctly?
B) Is there an intelligent way to approach this that I can practice when it is not an emergency?
C) Do any of you even do this?
Man-O-War - 15
"Dreams"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hopefully one of the MOW owners will chime in after a bit...I read the instructions but of course they made no sense without seeing the boat..
motosailor

Post by motosailor »

Imagine it like a roller furler on a big-boat, except theres no lines to get it to roll. I suppose you'll just have to loose all the lines and twist the bottom of the mast.

When I bought mine, it was on the mast, rolled on. I'm a purist though, and come from the land of sail maintenance, so I took the sail off as soon as possible, and have no intention of letting it remain on the boat when it's not in use.

**Edit** Derp. I read 'furling' and thought you were looking at this as a way to store the sail. For reefing, unless you absolutely have to use the boat, don't go out.
Last edited by motosailor on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
maRaider

Post by maRaider »

Ditto. Thanks for the reply! I think I will have to ultra-fine-sand the bast opf the mast to smooth it out. It has enough residue of the ages on it that it turns only with difficulty. I think I agree with the guy who sold it to me: If you need to think about reefing with this boat, get off the water.
Man-O-War - 15
"Dreams"
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

Old O'Day 22's had this type of boom roller reefing as well. Check with the mid 70's (=/- '74) O'Day22 foot boat owners to get a different view of how these systems work. If you set up your boat on jiffy / slab reefing you'll be happier for the change though.

Best!

Jim on Anhinga