New owner/Repair Questions

Post All Paint, Fiberglass, Or Maintenance Topics Here.
walterse

New owner/Repair Questions

Post by walterse »

Hello everyone! I am new to sailing and recently acquired a Chrysler 22. Overall she is in pretty great shape but there are a couple repairs that need to be done and I have a few questions. The pictures were too large to upload here, so you can view them at this link: https://imgur.com/gallery/8YeoRhk

The damage to the hull is the main problem. At the bow, where it meets the trailer, there is a gouge into the hull. There is also some damage to the bottom of the hull where it slides off the trailer. I purchased a fiberglass repair kit for those repairs, but my question is about painting them. I am not super concerned with the ascetic, I just want to make sure that it will be functional. I am assuming that it is gel coat so I was considering purchasing a gel coat repair kit (like this https://www.wholesalemarine.com/gelcoat ... r-kit.html).

Lastly, the starboard portlights are leaking. I know that I will need to remove the lights and at a minimum replace the rubber seal on the inside. My question is, how are you supposed to remove the screws (rivets?) on the interior? What have you guys used to repair or replace your portlights?

Thank you in advance!

-Eric
Captainbtd

Re: New owner/Repair Questions

Post by Captainbtd »

Eric,
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new C22! Like you, I am still pretty new to sailing (and sailboat repair), and I have not done either of the repairs that you are facing. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in with some help. I have gotten a lot of useful information from this forum as I am getting my boat ready to sail. Good luck with yours and keep us posted on your progress!
Brian
CaptainBangTheDock

1977 Chrysler C22
To be renamed... Formerly "Tigger"
aschavel

Re: New owner/Repair Questions

Post by aschavel »

We just purchased our 1977 Chrysler 26, At Last. We noticed where the rub rail meets the top deck, someone did a really sloppy job applying sealer. As we cleaned it up some and tried to get the sloppy ineffective stuff off to replace it, we noticed water drain holes on the bottom of the rub rail. Now we do not know if there is supposed to be a sealer where the deck and rub rail meet, or is it meant to be open so water can drain. We realize someone could have added the drain holes, but are not sure. Any ideas/suggestions? We are not putting the boat in the water until next summer. Located in Roque Bluffs, ME.