minor rudder board repair questions

Post All Paint, Fiberglass, Or Maintenance Topics Here.
Reality

minor rudder board repair questions

Post by Reality »

so my last fall C22 purchase had a few small cracks in the trailing edge of the rudder probably from hitting a prop. I've sanded it down along with some blister spots nearby. I intend to patch up the edge with a West System 101 Handy Repair Pack. Since this is always below water I'm only concerned about sealing out water and not "pretty". After I repair the cracked area, what's a good not too expensive "barrier coat" for this small area? thanks for any help.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Regular West System epoxy is a good barrier coat...but you should then cover it with paint to protect from UV.
Bill
Reality

Post by Reality »

It's a very small area. Can I just use a good spray paint from hardware store?
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I used good spray paint on mine with no issues...but Happy Place lives on a trailer most of the time, Other than day sails and a couple long weekends it's dry. Since your from Door County, you'll get 6 months each year to repaint if needed :wink:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Reality

Post by Reality »

It's going in a slip for 3 months this summer. I'll try some spray enamel followed by bottom paint for this rudder touch-up. The hull bottom seems good. thanks