Leaking windows

Post All Paint, Fiberglass, Or Maintenance Topics Here.
phroxis

Leaking windows

Post by phroxis »

I have a 1979 C22 and all four windows leak. It looks like the original window seals are still there but need to be replaced. I've looked everywhere locally for new seals but to no avail. Anyone have any experience with refurbishing the Chrysler windows?
Rich

Post by Rich »

Hey, if you figure out something better than what I'm going to try, come dry weather, let me know....I'm just gonna take them out, and slather calk and reinsert.. Three of my windows leak. They are have original seals too. Right now I have a tarp over the cabin area of the boat. I'm really bad at doing fix it stuff, think Tim the Tool man, without any knowledge of tools or any presumption of being a handy man, just the horrible luck and mishaps. :lol:
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
phroxis

Post by phroxis »

Thanks, Rich! That's what I've been thinking about too. Lots of silicone. I need to get a move-on with mine though; the sailing season here starts next week. I am scheduled to launch on Tuesday, no fooling!
Rich

Definately will be easier to do out of the water.

Post by Rich »

I have Selah in the water (sailing season never ends in the Pac N.W., you just have to use your foulies :wink: ) so I've gotta wait for the weather to get better before I can do it. I tried doing it on a clear day a few weeks ago, but it was so cold my hands weren't working well and the calk was way too thick and not very workable.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
edjeep

What I did.

Post by edjeep »

When I purchased my boat all the portlights had been removed, and there was only one plexi pattern with the boat; the rubber seal was ruined and missing. I sweated a lot about what I was going to do about this problem, and finally decided upon: :arrow:

Purchased Polycarbonate sheeting from plastic supplier (dont recall thickness, but it was about 50% of the space in the frame with the gasket removed) I cut the windows to shape (actually cut a little big and then brought down to tight fit with belt sander) With the frame making a good fit and a little play between the polycarb, I checked to make sure they fit back into the cutouts in the cabin.. All was good! I then trimmed the cling protective film back about 1/2" around the perimeter, so the adhesive would stick to good poly. I affixed the frame to the cabin with 3M 4200 and screwed the frame on from the inside. Then I shot 3M 5200 against the outside of the polycarb and frame. Next I shimmed the polycarb tight against the outer frame using some .125" screen door lookign cord I found at Home Depot. This cord was crammed all the way into the frame from the inside, which caused the polycarb to press towards the outside edge. This was a tight fit, and pressed most of the 5200 out from the outside of the frame. A good even flow of 5200 and I fealt like i had a good seal in there. I then 'buried' the cord by filling the small gap between the polycarb and the frame using 5200.

After the 5200 had set up for a while. I trimmed the profile around the inside of the frame with a sharp knife and then peeled the protective cling film off.

It rained pretty hard a few times last summer while the boat was in the water and the elements, but I saw no indication of leaks around the portlights.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

For what it's worth, I thought Copacetic's port lights were leaking too. When I removed the first one, water came pouring out of the deck.

I now believe my leak(s) to be higher up, and the portlight cutouts are just a convenient place for the water to get out.

So, re-bedding the portlights is not a bad thing, but you may want to consider re-bedding everything else as well.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
mariner

Post by mariner »

Next years project !
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Mariner,
I always get a kick out of your avatars. Thanks for sharing your collection.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com