Replacing Bunks

Post All Trailering Topics Here
MichiganBill

Replacing Bunks

Post by MichiganBill »

Perhaps a basic question. Are bunks usually 2x6 lumber? Is it a challenge for them to take the curvature of the hull? Seems like positioning them correctly before running fasteners may be tricky. Any advice for the best way to replace a bunk? The PO rigged up a couple 1x's.

https://goo.gl/photos/UANFLAsjGy1cU7y16

[/url]
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Correct. they are usually 2x6 lumber.
I have not had the pleasure of replacing them yet, but I don't think it would be hard to bend a fresh/wet piece of treated 2x6 in to shape with help from a (large) friend or a c-clamp.
I did replace my bunk carpet 3 years back and have left over if your interested.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

No need to preflex the lumber, the boat will do that. I replaced them on my C26 trailer with no issues. Just bolt to the risers and add carpet.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
Reality

Post by Reality »

treated wood tends to warp as it ages/drys. I'd use cedar which doesn't warp with age.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I replaced my bunks (C22) with pressure treated 2 by 6 lumber. it was quite a job to get them to conform to the shape needed to fasten them to the riser posts. I used ratcheting straps to coax them onto the riser post pads and then drilled the holes for the bolts. Two people definitely would be a big help, although I did it alone.
Bill
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

I used 2X6 PT also. I had to find new brackets for the top of the pipes and found the leaf spring brackets from ACE worked well. I used a few bar clamps in tandem to bend the still wet wood.