TRAILERS!

Post All Trailering Topics Here
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

TRAILERS!

Post by J. Austin »

After a rough day with my boat I needed some levity.

I got my boat in the water, this was good.

The way my trailer is set-up is BAD!
I got very irritated with myself because I did not work on it more.
It was windy, spitting rain and generally a pain in the butt.

On the good side: The trailer and boat rode great. Extending the tongue, which I practiced in the yard was great. My goal was to move the boat forward 3 inches. Doesn't sound to lofty. Except I should have taken the time to change over to a full bunk system like MArk has.

"SEMPER PARATUS" is something I live by and I felt I fell a lil' short today.

The amazing part of the ordeal was my kids were in the van being good, not driving me crazy, and amongst the cold chest-deep water that I was in, trying to fiddle with all these blocks and get this poor boat in her right place on the trailer, I stopped, looked down the ramp and saw my beautiful little boat floating happily. She took a second to almost smile before I had to yank her and myself back to reality.

The moral of the story is I couldn't get her all the way forward and that itself was frustrating. I may never forget how perfect she looked gently sitting there.

I begin on the bunks tomorrow, if it kills me!
BTW, if you leave the transom straps on a C22 has enough boyancy to lift her trailer and herself! :shock: :evil: :!: , a rookie mistake that will never happen again.

So heres the levity: In case I or we ever get frustrated with trailers, we can have much sympathy for this guy in OK. http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/21330

I can see it now, "If I can only find a boat ramp."

Notice, no transom straps, lol :D

Thanks for letting me vent.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Tomorrow's another day, Jay! Good luck!

You can always come over and use the rack, but you'll have to hurry. I'm about done with it and have a couple neighbors interested in it.

Going to float mine off the trailer tomorrow to see how well I sealed my keel brackets and to see that I've fixed my starboard list.

Fingers crossed for both of us!!

Cheers!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

Don't feel bad. I once parked my truck and trailer on the boat ramp and after aplying the e-brake I went to get my ski boat to drive it on the trailer. The trucks transfer case sliped into neutral, the e-brake didn't hold and my truck submerged into the river. After the cab had filled with water I was able to open the door and turn the ignition off.(water was 4 inches over the cab) They still talk about that 20 years later.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Thanks Guys.
Mark, that's great that she's going in the water.
I forgot the part where I had no leaks. That's certainly a plus. Take lots of pics of her in the water, I'm sure she'l hold nicely for ya.

38: Great story, sounds like more equipment failure that human.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sorry to hear about the trailer issues but we've all been there!
Just reminds us we are all human!

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

WOW, weird....firstly... be happy no leaks... secondly.. trailers are VERY impt... the trailer is now being blamed as a possible casue ofmy leaking problem ( still undetermined...) for 30 years the boat slept throughthe winter in her OEM factory shipping cradle...I recently found a custom very professional trailer (sailtrailer - none better) with 6 stands and the boat resting nicely ... but the are saying the weight or trailer or something might have caused a tiny stress crack..

BTW: this is weird -- the Beneteau tha I am so very upset about ( see the leak had to haul thread) is this same model Bene ( sans trailer ) as is inthis thread as a link - see first post..but with a better rig --get this -- ready-- sure--- you'll be aggravated like me... ready.. was sold and launched by MY BOATYARD for --ready 4,000! my cushions onthe C-26 cost me close to 2G !!! yes it was a cosmetic mess inside and still had the OEM renault deisal ( working though !)
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW! That is a nice price!
You can not touch a nice working deisel egine for that!

Sounds like you need to befriend the new owner so you can go sailing on it for free! :)

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I already am trying.... the same day he launched the boat he showed up with a big roll of white vynil, a roll of thin foam ( like you put uner a wood floor.. and a utility knife...glue and a roller.. by late lunch he had already ripped out all the rotten stinkin hanging ugly vynil ( that I guess got him that low price) and had replaced it with all new vynil and foam... it was a really really nice boat! all he had left to do was refinish all the woodwork.. he told me he was planning on upgrading to a yanmar diesel in a few years and that was really it...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343