Trailering c26

Post All Trailering Topics Here
Greg48

Trailering c26

Post by Greg48 »

I am a new member and new to sailing so please bear with me. I have commited to buying a c26 with a tandem axle trailer. The trailer has 175/80/13 tires, rated at 1100 to 1360 lbs load each, probably not the original trailer. Does anyone know how much a c26 with a swing keel weighs, or what size tires are usually on these trailers. The trip home to Washington is 1400 miles. Any help will be gratly appricated, Thanks Greg
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Welcome Greg

Congrats on the C-26 its 5000lbs

I pulled a C-22 600+ miles on a single axle traler and would say just check the lug bolts.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Tire pressure and condition should be your number one concern as long as the trailer itself appears to be in good condition.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Welcome Greg

Make sure you have working breaks on your trailer not only for safety, but I hear the H.P. in some states are really pushing this type of thing. You will love the boat... post somes pics you will find the members of this forum love them.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Greg!
Where in Washington are you headed to?
We have several Chrysler owners here some in Eastern Washington and some in Western Washington!

It'd be fun to get together some day!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard !!
C26 is rated at 5000 pounds, but reality is it probably weighs more than that depending on what it is carrying onboard at the time ! Plus the tires are carrying the weight of the trailer too.

4 tires rated at 1360 comes out to 5440, so you're probably pretty tight if you assume the highest rating of the tire and the lowest weight of the boat.

That being said, EE's trailer has been carefully towed twice with 14" non-trailer truck tires rated at about 1500 each.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

I figure boat, trailer and equipment to be around 7,000 lb. so those tires are very under-rated for the load. My trailer has mobile home tires and axles, so no worries about load rating for me.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

my trailer has load range E tires on it and if you get close to rated capacity the tires tend to heat up. I would measure the bolt pattern and see if you could get bigger rims and heavier tires. Last I saw on 13" tires only load range B and also getting close to rated when cornering with a tandem axle you have 2 things extra load on outboard tires and when making a left turn I would hate to lose 1 or both right tires also scuffing front or rear axle tires the tighter the turn the more scuff and that is where sidewalls of tires come in.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey Lyle, you mention measuing the bolt pattern for new wheels.
How do you do that. The wheels on my trailer look pretty rough. I was thinking that if I blast and paint the trailer, new rims would be in order.

I was thinking about getting old truck rims for it to match my tow rig or maybe a set of old white 5 spoke ford rims. What do I need to do to measure the bolt pattern? Yeah I know count the lugs but what else do I measure??

Thanks
Scott
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Scott.
You should be fine getting an old set of Ford rims for your trailer.Chrysler and Ford have always had 5 on 4 1/2" rims. GM had their own pattern. Most 5 lug trailer wheels from 8" through 15" are 4 1/2". To confirm, get a compass or dividers and set it to 2 1/4". Put one side on the center of the hub and the other side in the center of the stud. Make sure the radius on your lug nuts match your new rims. If not, you can easily match them at any good auto parts store.
Clair
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Clair has it right if you want to match with a tape measure measure center of 1 stud to center of third (skipping 1 stud). then you can go to a Tractor supply and use the same tape. In days gone by GM had a 4 3/4 bolt pattern
and Chrysler had 4" on smaller cars and 4 1/2 on larger cars and Ford had 4 1/2 but a smaller center hole. If you put a Ford wheel on a Chrysler the lugs would pull it on but when you went to take it off you were swinging a 20lb sledge.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Greg48

Trailering c26

Post by Greg48 »

Thanks for the warm welcome. After your replies I think I will buy a new set of 15" tires and wheels and maybe solve problems present and future. I live in the Walla Walla Washington area so the Pacific will gain one. Will learn to sail on the Columbia and Snake rivers then hope to go to Sandpoint and Coeur D Alene Idaho at least once this year. Big dream is to make it to Pudget Sound this year if possible. Thanks again for the welcome and trailer input. Greg
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Found that out myself recently. EE had a bad tire that had a messed up rim, and I borrowed a 5 hole spare tire from a friend's MacGregor trailer, and after putting one lug bolt in, found none of the other holes lined up !

Oh and to whoever apparently boated up to our bulkhead and swiped the spare I had left on the back of EE's trailer, I hope it serves you well. Really I do, pay no attention to the gris gris I put on it.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Awesome! Thanks Clair and Lyle!

Sounds like I'm likely OK with Ford rims but I need to do the measurements to confirm.

If I can get rims that match my Ford, I'd like that. They are likely readily available since I have stock rims. IF not then I'd like a set similar to my old trailer that I recently sold with Lady Di. I think they look very nice and are easy to touch up with paint.

Scott
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Scott that style of wheel is what My Tractor Supply (chain) sells make sure bolts and center hole are right I can remember taking a Galaxy wheel off a FuryII with a cutting torch( NOT fun) have a great day.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Cool, Thanks Lyle!

I just may drag the trailer to where ever I buy the rims.
It is currently at Alans house. As soon as I get the keel on Lady Jo fixed, I'll be looking to sand blast the trailer. After paint I think respectible wheels are in order. No hurries though. I have ALL winter!

Scott
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Scott
When you sand blast trailer take a wheel off and this may sound simple take a piece of cardboard and a plain old pencil hold behind holes and trace all 6 holes then go to store and hold cardboard behind the wheel.
they sell tire and wheel combo and make sure load range is enough.
I pefer to have tires that will take 20% more than a loaded boatand trailer. Better safe than sorry I saw a person that bought an antique 1937 Chris Craft inboard for $30,000 at a museum auction and got new tires for the trailer to take it home and over torqued lug nuts (Squalk when tightening) and he left 10 min before me Iwas coming up behind him when he lost all the lug nuts because the studs snapped he wanted to put some parts he recovered from the boat that was toothpics as this happened at 70 MPH we put the engine and prop and shaft and the bow cleat in my truck. Yes when the trailer went he would have been better of if he skimped on the hitch (Lost a 2 yr old Crown Vic)
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

You mesure from center to center of tthe lug bolts for size and I should know it because not onlt will Ford truck rims work but so does the VW van rims (on my trailer now) and beleive it or not older Mercades Benz wheels.

I too was going to get a nice matching set of rims for my truck and trailer but know that the truck was redesignrd my a 16 yr old I'm going with what ever rolls...lol It doesnt have to look good it just needs to get the boat to the water.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

First, thanks all for the help on measuring rims!
I think I'm good to go now and can find rims without a size problem!

As far a summer get together?? I'm in! I'll happily plan it or help plan it!!

I highly recommend watching the 4th of July fireworks from a boat in Lake Union at least once!!!

However, I will not participate in a get together for a Lake Union 4th event.

To many boats and to large a proportion of the operators drinking. Not my style to hit large crowds and large amounts of drinkers in boats. Been there, done that, no thanks! Hmm, I smell a safety tip coming on! LOL!

I do not wish to discourage ANYONE from giving a try though! IT is a BLAST however a bit scary when the fireworks stop!!!

Scott
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin