Full electrical overhaul. C-22

Post All Electrical Topics Here
dubbinchris

Full electrical overhaul. C-22

Post by dubbinchris »

The electrical forum seems a little sparce, so hopefully a full electrical re-do can drum up a little activity. I've only had my C-22 a few months and have been slowly gathering parts to redo pretty much every inch of the wiring.

I plan to have a 12V system as well as two 110V systems. One 110v system will be from a shore line and one from an on-board inverter.

The 12v system will consist of two group 24 batteries connected to a batt1/batt2 switch so I can run them in parallel or separate. I plan to have a decent sized 12v switch/breaker panel and would like to mount it just inside the companionway on the port side. I would like to build a box in the area that is curently just a shelf and create a hinged drop down panel. I'd like to be able to reach the panel from the cockpit by just leaning inside while still standing in the cockpit. I though about installing all the switches in a panel created into the shelf above the table to create a bit of a "nav station" effect. Although cool looking I didn't want to climb completely inside the boat to turn anything on or off. The original location of the switch panel seems pretty silly to me.

The first two thing on my agenda are to determine the location of the batteries and the shore power inlet plug. I'm open to suggestions for each. I'd like to keep the batteries next to each other and close to the centerline of the boat. Those two requirements seem to be making my options slim. I could potentially put them directly under the cockpit floor as far forward as possible, but accesability would be difficult plus I'm unsure about drilling in that area. Is there room before going through the bottom of the boat, and if so would I have access to thru bolt?

Suggestions on where to put my shore power plug? I have this pretty little item...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50526

Anyway, I plan to keep this thread updated with my progress. In the meantime It's going to start getting cold out and I don't have the comforts of a large garage to work in so I've decided to create a tent over the boat so I have a little shelter to work in and can run my torpedo heater in to hopefully make working conditions bearable. I will also be rebedding all the deck hardware as there are tons of leaks so with some shelter I can take my time and on occasion leave some of the holes open for a day or so until I come back to it.

First few steps in creating my tent....the frame work....

Last edited by dubbinchris on Mon May 06, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

The area under the cockpit is the bottom of the hull and is not a place to be drilling...it is approximately 5/8 to 3/4 inch thick fiberglass layup. You would have to install some type of flat mounting board to secure batteries to. You could probably attach the battery board to the bulkhead and the bottom of the cockpit sole....just one idea.
Bill
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Thickened epoxy will hold the board you build to mount your batteries to. Rough-up the gel coat to get a good bond. You'll need heat enough for it to kick, if it's too cold it will never go. Moisture in the air can eventually spoil one of the components.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

I built a shelf under the cockpit from one side to the other about 2 1/2" high.
That allows me to have just enough room top squeeze 2 batteries in and have them out of the way and out of sight. I can get a pic next time I head to the boat.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

here's some pix of my boat to give you some ideas.

Battery location

Main panel
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Bubbles wrote:here's some pix of my boat to give you some ideas.

Battery location

Main panel
Your panels look nice. How hard is it to get access behind them?

I also like the location of your bettery and am considering that location as well. It also seems as though my second battery will fit just of the keel cable hump there. Can you tell me how you secured the strap under the battery case and I'm also quite curious about that plug you appear to have adapted into the case lid. Can you tell me more about it as well?

Thanks
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

mcrandall wrote:Thickened epoxy will hold the board you build to mount your batteries to. Rough-up the gel coat to get a good bond. You'll need heat enough for it to kick, if it's too cold it will never go. Moisture in the air can eventually spoil one of the components.
Good advice. I'll be considering my options here. I'm currently building the cover for winter work. It will allow me to get a good amount of heat in there to work comfortably.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

dubbinchris wrote:
Bubbles wrote:here's some pix of my boat to give you some ideas.

Battery location

Main panel
Your panels look nice. How hard is it to get access behind them?

I also like the location of your bettery and am considering that location as well. It also seems as though my second battery will fit just of the keel cable hump there. Can you tell me how you secured the strap under the battery case and I'm also quite curious about that plug you appear to have adapted into the case lid. Can you tell me more about it as well?

Thanks

Plenty of access behind the panels,...about 5 inches of pure empty space. Cut your first hole and you'll see. To the right of my panels and near the bulkhead is a 6" Alpine flush mount speaker. I have those on both sides of the boat. The opposite side has similar space for speakers, etc.

Behind the battery are two brackets which the nylon strap goes through. I need to epoxy a small piece of plywood under it for better support though.

That plug is made by MarineCo. Search for trollling motor plugs and you'll see. Plenty on eBay. THe set cost about $35. Very nice 3 prong twist style plug and will take 8 or 10 awg wire
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Well I did assume there was space behind there once you cut the hole, but my real question is how/where does it communicate with other areas of the boat to determine with path?

That connector sounds nice and if it takes 8 guage then that's about all I'd need.

I'm familiar with those little somewhat cheap plastic screw down brackets for the strap to slide through that come with most battery boxes, but I was wondering what you did to secure them down? My thoughts are to create a flat surface with a piece of wood that would hold two group 24 battery boxes.

I'm wondering of course if this is an okay place for the batteries since it's seems to really be the only bilge type area of the boat. Do you have a bilge pump anywhere in the boat and if so where?
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

dubbinchris wrote:Well I did assume there was space behind there once you cut the hole, but my real question is how/where does it communicate with other areas of the boat to determine with path?

That connector sounds nice and if it takes 8 guage then that's about all I'd need.

I'm familiar with those little somewhat cheap plastic screw down brackets for the strap to slide through that come with most battery boxes, but I was wondering what you did to secure them down? My thoughts are to create a flat surface with a piece of wood that would hold two group 24 battery boxes.

I'm wondering of course if this is an okay place for the batteries since it's seems to really be the only bilge type area of the boat. Do you have a bilge pump anywhere in the boat and if so where?
Not sure I understand your first question. Can you clarify?

As for bilge, I plan to add one. As for most likely spot, I'd expect the keel pin locker to be the most probable spot, but other C22 owners with more experience will know best.
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

One end of the wires all end up at the switch panel(s) but what about the other ends? Obviously they end up at the device they control but where else can I reach the void from to pull wires through?
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

dubbinchris wrote:One end of the wires all end up at the switch panel(s) but what about the other ends? Obviously they end up at the device they control but where else can I reach the void from to pull wires through?
The main wiring harness for cabin, mast, nav lights, etc is behind that panel. That's what makes it an ideal location.
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Yes I understand that but where do they go? What route do they take? How else can you access that good other than the holes cut out for the panels?
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Making progress on the tent frame.

Xmas stuff is getting in the way.

mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Looking good,Chris!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Coreth

GREAT INFO

Post by Coreth »

I'm currently re-wiring my C22 completely & appreciate all of the info here. Feeling blessed to part of this great community! :)
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22
Blog: SailingPugetSound.net
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

It's been a while since I posted, but the winter hadsn't been kind around here. I wasn't able to get much done and actually my GF and I are planning on towing it down to Florida this coming Monday so I'm rushing to get some basics done. I'm trying to get at least the batteries mounted and the marine radio and navigation lights operational.

I've managed to get all the wiring done in the mast with a new anchor light as well as a combo steaming/deck light. I'll post some pictures and some further updates. I'm in the process of making a somewhat temporary yet secure mount for the batteries. I also got the VHF mounted and a mount for the GPS.

Next will be the shore power and battery charger. Hopfully pics to follow.
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Any other ideas as to the best place for a bilge pump in these boats? If they were to take on water where is the most likely place?
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

I am putting my bilge in the closest to ideal location I can without it getting in the way. My C22 has a wood bulkhead under the companionway just aft of the winch. Lemme grab a pic...

Image[/URL]

There you can see the white wooden bulkhead, under the winch. You see my boom on the floor? My bilge pump will be mounted to the white wall on right at the floor, where the boom ends in this pic.

I am then running the exit 3/4 bilge hose upward and drilling a hole for an exit thru hull right behind the winch. The thru hull will empty on to the outside cockpit floor.

I know this is not the lowest spot in the boat, but it is the best I can think to do given the lowest spot is in the middle of the floor and I would trip over it every time I went to the head lol.

I also plan to have a manual bilge pump on hand. The auto bilge is just my "keep the boat from sinking" safety item. The manual bilge will be used to get small amounts of water out.
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

That's pretty much where I ended up mounting mine. I do at some point need to replace that wooden bulkhead. Mine is getting rotten at the bottom. I made a little bracket out of some scrap aluminum to mount my bilge pump and float switch.

Also recently I installed my shore power plug. It pained me to drill a hole this big in the boat.

(not sure why the picture is wavy at the bottom ^^)

Other recent things....

Did some work on the mast...

Of course it only fit partly into the garage...

Decided on a spot for the VHF antenna...

Mounted it with pop rivets...

Then I bent up this little bracket..

It's held in with the sheave bolt and I tapped the horizontal surface of it...

Used another piece of flat stock and tapped it...

Eventually creating this...

Inside I decided on a place for the battery switch...

Right behind the switch is where the two group 24 batteries will go in their proper boxes. I made a cardboard template first...

Then after lots a lots of measure I made the wedges and what not to make it level in that compartment...

Didn't get pictures of the batteries mounted but will at some point.

Decided on a temporary place for the VHF...

Back to the mast. Ran two three conductor marine wires and some RG8X up through the mast....

One wire goes about 2/3 of the way up the mast and powers this...

At the bottom end I installed two plugs like this...

I use plenty of this adhesive marine shrink tubing...

Here is the other coming out through a grommet at the top of the mast...

I've done quite a bit more so far, but that's all the photos I managed to take. I hope to post more detailed photos as time permits.
Last edited by dubbinchris on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That is looking pretty awesome!
Nice work!

Scott